Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Securing payment.

[ QUOTE ]
She said she was sending me cash by non-certified mail.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

moran.

-dB
Old 07-13-2005, 02:02 PM

Put it in her pooper.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem with small claims is that she's all the way in CA and I'm in MA. There's a chance she won't return to school in the fall. So I'm not relying on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this statement is that it doesn't matter. Small claims is a valid choice and IMO your only one at this point. Her excuses are lame. She has problems and probably needs therapy. Either that, or she is a really dumb con artist. Since nature of her stories suggest both.

Congratulations on keeping the threats vague. However, I suggest you send her one last notice giving her a 1 week deadline for netteller, paypal, or moneyorder. If after that you will pursue other avenues for help.

Since she doesn't want you to contact her parents that is exactly where I would start. Then small claims. Don't worry about the interstate stuff. It just means a state trooper and not a cop will deliver the subpoena.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:11 PM

BTW, NT, this was a really nice act you did. It sucks when it backfires. But as I'm sure you know, when it pays off, it pays off huge.

Some day I hope to be able to buy a beer. Anything but a micro brew of course.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:00 PM

With her being out of state, small claims court isn't feasible. You will have to pay a process server who will want more than you are owed. She of course won't show to court and you'll get a default judgement. Big deal.

You're best bet is to call her parents. Make a innocent sounding "courtesy call" to their home. They might just send you a check. If that doesn't work, call them back at work. If that fails, let it go. This chick's a deadbeat, I guarantee you she probably has tons of creditors chasing her. You are the least of her worries. Take the Karma credit and move on.

ETA: You didn't say if she was working. If she is, calling her repeatedly at work is the best way to get paid. On that "courtesy call" to her parents, try and find out if she's working and where.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:32 PM

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=159073

As for process servers.... odd. In Indiana state troopers deal with them. Or they have in the few cases I have seen.

If I was going to send her a certified mail subpena, I would tell her "you know what I give up. This is too much work. I hope you pay, but as of right now it's only a matter of honor."

Or some bullshit like that. ANything to drop her guard to open the mail.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:09 PM

Getting a judgement in small claims court is no guarantee that you'll actually get paid. It does give you the ability to attach property and stuff like that, but it may be more trouble than it's worth for $120.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Errr.... I just e-mailed my dad about this. He said the constitution only requires states to honor "court of record" and small claims aren't typically "court of record". It depends though. Looks like I should of kept my mouth closed. Odd considering I've had a sheriff knock on my door for parking tickets in Mass. Also, I seen sheriffs deliver small claims tickets before. I guess Indiana is different.

Next time ship it via COD. Both Fedex and UPS offer that service.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/opt...od.html?link=4
Old 07-13-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So here's what we do. You send me the money via Western Union or some other wire service. Tomorrow, no ifs, ands or buts. When we initially discussed this I left the total amount up to you (aside from cost of course) but that is no longer the case. Total cost to you will be $175 flat for my time and also for the lateness of your payment.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're charging for extra for all of this? If I was her, I wouldn't pay you a dime over what you payed to ship it.

Isn't this extortion?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, NT, this was a really nice act you did. It sucks when it backfires. But as I'm sure you know, when it pays off, it pays off huge.

Some day I hope to be able to buy a beer. Anything but a micro brew of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks duder.

After she told me she was sending cash I advised her to send me a postal money order. She just emailed me back and this is what she says she did.

My impression is that this girl is more of a flake than anything else. She might hope this slides off but when you apply a bit of pressure I think she'll come through. Basically one of those path of least resistance things. Make it hard or embarassing and you'll get what you're owed.

Let's hope that's the case.

NT