Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Re: thoughts about earnings per hour online

Bernie

I think many people convert their BB/hr(online rate) to a live rate ahead of time berfore reporting it. I've read many of times people asking how many games per hour there is in an average live game, so that they can figure their BB/hr.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Re: sigh

Please, what is Stat King? and what sites does it work with?

I think bernie meant pokerstat. Pokerstat currently works on paradise, but the developer is working on versions for Pokerstars, and party poker. It is available from thsoftware.

Statking, is available from conjelco, and tracks your session results.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:25 PM

As Holden Caufield used to say, sometimes the digressions are the most interesting part of a topic. (smlie) No offence bernie. The idea that good $10-20 players are playing $2-4 on line really hits home. I play a lot of $1-2 on line and have been slowly building up a good sized bankroll over a year or so. I run into the usual setbacks but because there are lots of loose players around I get it back before too long and continue to build. (Sorry I don't keep track of my hourly rate) But whenever I move up to $2-4 I notice that the table may be good for a while and then a fish or two leaves and all of a sudden I can't notice anyone making mistakes. So now I'll watch even closer to see what I can learn from these guys.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:48 PM

In *loose* games, both online and live, my experience is that 0.05 BB (big blind) per hand is my long run expected earn rate.

Live at 30 hands per hour, that's 1.5 BB/hour.

Online at 50 hands per hour, that's 2.5 BB/hour.

That includes up to 3 tables online, and up to 1 table (!) live. It's important to note that table selection here is important: tight tables obviously play more hands per hour and more than likely at less BB per hand.

This online and live experience is at essentially the same type of table with the same lineup. Mostly passive, loose tables. 90% of the time, you need a hand at a showdown to win. Other than the number of hands per hour, the games play essentially the same.

So getting at your question, bernie, at first I thought that online games were so much easier to make money on. After working out the numbers, it's clear that hands per hour and being able to be picky about table choices makes online play nice, but otherwise the games play similar to live, at least at loose tables.