Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: DLP vs LCD TV

I'd recommend checking out www.avsforum.com.

It's been about two years since I researched tv's for my own use so it's hard for me to give a good fair opinion. I ended up going with DLP because it met my needs. One of my key needs was hooking up a computer to it. Since DLP doesn't burn in that was a major plus for me. But that probably doesn't matter for your mom.

Here's my understanding as to the latest technologies:

Plasma - Only newer models support HDTV resolution. Can have burn in problems. Trouble producing true blacks. Expensive. I also believe they consume a lot of power but I could be wrong on that.

DLP - Some people see rainbows. I believe this has been mostly alleviated with the newer sets and the 7 part color wheels. Definitely go check it out in the store to see if you have problems. Good blend of picture quality for your purchase price price.

LCD - I don't know too much about LCD. Back when I was looking at TV's, LCD's were still pretty new. Sony was having A LOT of build problems and a significant portion were getting returned to the factory. I imagine this has been worked out by now. As I understand it, picture quality is excellent but they are expensive.

Personally I'm very happy with my Samsung 50" DLP. You can pick up a 46" for around $2,000 nowadays.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:00 PM

Default WARNING!!!!!!!!!

Do NOT BUY A PANASONIC LCD TV. In fact, I would simply not buy a Panasonic TV period. I am going through a living hell with mine right now. The factory lamps WILL NOT last longer than 12 months, some only last 4-5 months, and they cost $299 to replace. The ballasts also frequently [censored] the bed, and will run you upwards of $700 to replace. As soon as mine get fixed (I was under warranty thank Jesus), I am selling this piece of [censored].

http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/124835.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...ic_lcd_tv.html

Anyways I could continue posting links, or you can just google - Panasonic LCD problem - and choose one of the 880,000 hits you will get.

You have been warned.

-Matt
Old 07-12-2005, 01:02 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

rp-dlp gets a slight nod in black levels and pixel response, but it's not enough to offset the fact that lots of people see rainbows with the sets. even if you or those with whom you live don't, your guests might. rp-lcd wins.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:38 PM

I bought the Samsung DLP 42" and a 37" panasonic plasma. The DLP Lamps are a small fortune have no waranty and last from 100 hours to ? If i had to pick between the two I would go with the Plasma.

DLP does not burn in also
Old 07-12-2005, 03:39 PM

I pre-ordered one of these new Samsung 61" 1080p DLPs through the AVS power buy for $3,500 shipped.

Hopefully the rainbow effect won't be a problem in these new sets.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

both senor choppy and my gf saw pronounced effects on samsungs with 7-segment color wheels, so unless something additional is there i doubt it. as i've read, the only way to eliminate it is to use 2 color wheels but nobody wants to pay for it.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
both senor choppy and my gf saw pronounced effects on samsungs with 7-segment color wheels, so unless something additional is there i doubt it. as i've read, the only way to eliminate it is to use 2 color wheels but nobody wants to pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, that sucks. I think I'll do some more research on these new ones. I also think I'll let the TV ship. (These TV's havent' been released yet, but should be shipping any day now). TVAuthority (the seller) has a 30-day money back return policy for any reason with no restocking fee.

So, if it sucks, I'll just return it and get a different one.

Do you have any recommendations in the $3,500 range?

Again, I'm an AV noob and trying to digest/retain all the info on the different technologies has been a little hard. I feel like I'm studying for a test.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:07 PM

for me it's not about sucking. i don't see rainbows either. my gf and senor choppy, a personal friend, both do though. it seems to be more common than avsforum's dlp-philes let on. i wouldn't be concerned for myself, i'd be concerned that a friend would bring a friend over to watch the superbowl or that sort of thing and they saw rainbows. it's a total dealbreaker for me because my live-in gf sees them, but i would still find it terribly annoying if guests were hit by it too so i decided to sidestep the whole issue.

i own/love a 60" sony kdf-60xs955 rplcd. it's "only" 1080i though. i understand that the 1080p samsung isn't a perfect 1920x1080 though because of diamond-shaped overlapping pixels. 1080p could become a more important with hd dvd, but it doesn't seem like broadcasters are going to care much about it. maybe hdnet will but it could annoy the cable/satellite companies.

for what it's worth if i had it to do over right now with no tv and i could get the samsung 1080p or my sony i would still take the sony just because of rainbows, even if my gf didn't see them. i know the majority of dlp owners are happy with them though. if i wanted to blow some serious coin i'd go for the sony qualia lcos 1080p set.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Way longer than 100 hours. I've got about 2 years on mine with a pretty good amount of use and no problems yet. My lamp is also covered by the protection plan I bought through Circuit City. In fact, that is the ONLY reason I bought the service plan.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:00 PM

I can only speak of my experiences. I don't see rainbows. Nor have any of my guests complained. When I first got the set I explained the rainbow problem to one of my guests and they said they thought they could see it. Personally I think it was the plecebo effect.

When I first got the set it did take me a little bit to get used to it.