Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Pokernomics.com: A Major Project Collecting Hand Histories

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who submits 10,000+ of their own hands will receive a free analysis of their play. People submitting more than 30,000 hands will receive an analysis and a signed copy of his New York Times bestselling book "Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything".

[/ QUOTE ]

What analysis of anybody's play are you going to do? That I am not owning limpers well enough?

Look, if you are emailing this off the quad you are in clear and egregious violation of the computer use agreement you and your twit of a boss have both agreed to. What the hell are you do spamming an internet message board? Isn't Leavitt's current book a best seller? Can't you do better than trying to steal out of 2+2's pocket and pay for an advertisement like all of the other, well, advertisers.

Given the mainstream appeal of his previous work, combined with the fact that his new work is on one of the biggest trends in American society, your claim that this is for academic rather than commercial use is utter and complete poppycock. I don't expect any more from the Economics department at the old alma mater; the department has been an embarrassment to the rest of the University for as long as I can remember.

Go climb back into your hole in Gates-Blake and pray you are never fortunate enough to cross my path in person.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who submits 10,000+ of their own hands will receive a free analysis of their play. People submitting more than 30,000 hands will receive an analysis and a signed copy of his New York Times bestselling book "Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything".

[/ QUOTE ]

What analysis of anybody's play are you going to do? That I am not owning limpers well enough?

Look, if you are emailing this off the quad you are in clear and egregious violation of the computer use agreement you and your twit of a boss have both agreed to. What the hell are you do spamming an internet message board? Isn't Leavitt's current book a best seller? Can't you do better than trying to steal out of 2+2's pocket and pay for an advertisement like all of the other, well, advertisers.

Given the mainstream appeal of his previous work, combined with the fact that his new work is on one of the biggest trends in American society, your claim that this is for academic rather than commercial use is utter and complete poppycock. I don't expect any more from the Economics department at the old alma mater; the department has been an embarrassment to the rest of the University for as long as I can remember.

Go climb back into your hole in Gates-Blake and pray you are never fortunate enough to cross my path in person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because an academic's book sells well doesn't mean any further research he does is for "commercial purposes".

Stephen Levitt is a brilliant (albeit unorthodox) scholar and a top notch researcher. The fact that he knew to come to 2+2 is a testament to this. I look forward to sending my HHs and taking a class with him next fall.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:40 PM

Rack him.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because an academic's book sells well doesn't mean any further research he does is for "commercial purposes".

[/ QUOTE ]
You're kidding right? After a highly successful book readily accessible to the masses, he is writing a book on one of the biggest, if not the biggest, current cultutal phenomenoms. To claim this isn't for commercial purposes when he is clearly hoping to capitalize commercially is at worst disingenuious and more likely an outright lie.

I just realized that when you mentioned getting your MA earlier that you are/were talking about MAPSS. I simply can't discourage one enough from doing that program.

As for Leavitt's brilliance, I won't argue that point. While he knew enough to come to 2+2 he apparently lacks the normative foundation to realize that how he is going about his work is in violation of both his own University's term of conditions as well as the terms and conditions of this site.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:26 PM

"I don't expect any more from the Economics department at the old alma mater; the department has been an embarrassment to the rest of the University for as long as I can remember."

I'm guessing you've got a well-worn copy of Das Kapital sitting on top your coffee table at home. You obviously know nothing about economics nor are you willing to accept the fact that your alma mater's Econ department has done more to advance the cause of human liberty and freedom over the last 50 yrs than any other academic department in the world.

Please keep the asinine drivels to yourself.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:40 PM

Ok rebuttal. I'm down with you in spirit, but I'm not sure Valenzuela thinks that the U of Chicago Econ deptartment was interested in liberty and freedom.

Vinyard should fight back, but I guess there is a politics forum for that.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:49 PM

oh come on, you forgot:

Welcome to the Forum!

citanul
Old 07-11-2005, 08:52 PM

levitt is amazing, i am really looking forward to what he has to say. if it were some other economist i would say "i know poker real well, kind of useless" but theres a good chance levitts view will be refreshing.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:06 PM

Hmmmm.

I sent a long email to this economist guy first explaining to him about chip and dollar EV models and fold equity etc etc and said this would be a far better thing to investigate than there original idea for analysis which was poker luck or skill (duh) or sumthing equaly obvious/dumb which was on the freakonomics website about a 2 months ago.

I wanted him to look at current models and explained in depth some of the issues sorrunding SNG theory.

I never got a response for this email, but now this happens.

Nice to see that your ideas have been ripped off without even a thankyou for your input. Though that is how the world of academia works.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm.

I sent a long email to this economist guy first explaining to him about chip and dollar EV models and fold equity etc etc and said this would be a far better thing to investigate than there original idea for analysis which was poker luck or skill (duh) or sumthing equaly obvious/dumb which was on the freakonomics website about a 2 months ago.

I wanted him to look at current models and explained in depth some of the issues sorrunding SNG theory.

I never got a response for this email, but now this happens.

Nice to see that your ideas have been ripped off without even a thankyou for your input. Though that is how the world of academia works.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, poker is such an obscure little game that I'm sure he would have never thought of analyzing it without your email. The bastard.