Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: What\'s Up With Dogs

I get to see this face everyday -

Old 07-11-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean they are messy - and smelly. You have to feed them, walk them, train them, take care of them. Some bark too much. They can tear up your stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between not liking dogs, and not wanting to endure the hassles of dog ownership. I can understand someone not wanting to own a dog, but not liking them at all...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:07 PM

Old 07-11-2005, 03:16 PM

This is turning into a picture of your dog thread, I like it! Here's my contribution, my pup when he was 11 weeks old, along with my lovely wife.

Swede
Old 07-11-2005, 05:05 PM

People are also messy, smelly, expensive, and require time and care. Being able to get past that is what helps make you cool as a dog owner, friend, or parent. And being a dog owner is by far the easiest of the three.

It's good training for the other two. There are people who like dogs but don't care about treating them well, and people who flat out don't like dogs. Liking dogs and relating to them well is no guarantee of a great person, but I've noted that people who don't care for animals of any kind miss out on some life lessons that they can easily apply elsewhere, and then come up short. Kind of like only children are very often spoiled and don't know how to relate to roommates; they haven't had the chance to learn how to get along and compromise with people they live with, and that's not an asset by a long shot. They've got a whole big mindset change to go through, and they'll kind of suck bad until they do. Everyone will know it but them.

Not liking dogs and knowing how to care for them well, being reluctant at the thought of putting yourself out even only as much as a DOG needs -- which really isn't much at all, especially for the incredible affection and loyalty and fun you get back -- does seem to show a selfish person more often than not, in my experience.

Appreciating a dog is like appreciating anything else that's beautiful or cool, and if you don't know how to do that, you're throwing away something good. But if it's caring for and making some small sacrifices for even a dog that puts you off, it's a pretty clear sign that you're probably selfish and won't be very developed when it comes to giving to people, either.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:33 PM

I was thinking about dogs because I was amazed at how many people in my apartment complex have them - especially a lot of women. I wonder if the dog is really happy living in a small apartment where it has to spend most of the day cooped up while the owner is away.

I was actually consider getting one, but I'm not sure how it would go. I just picture scenes from Turner and Hooch taking place.

Maybe if I could rent one for a few days....
Old 07-11-2005, 05:35 PM

Dogs are like kids that aren't very smart.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:39 PM

The Turner and Hooch dog was a huge mastiff, one of the larger breeds around. Obviously you don't want a 150 lb dog in a one bedroom apartment. That's the beauty of dogs though, there are so many different breeds, with varying sizes, exercise requirements, temperaments etc. If you do decide on looking into getting a dog do some research, visit the AKC website and read some of the descriptions of the dogs listed there. Certain breeds really don't mind being cooped up for several hours each day, as long as you give them the exercise and attention they need when you are home. Obviously it isn't like a smaller animal that you just feed and clean up after, you need to give it some of yourself. But assuming you're willing to do that there are lots of dogs that are perfectly happy living in apartments.

Swede
Old 07-11-2005, 05:46 PM

Living in an apartment isn't by itself an impediment to having a dog; get a female of a small- to medium-sized breed and you should have few problems. Even if you do go with a larger dog, it should be happy as long as you give it plenty of exercise outside.

Not having the time to devote to raising and properly training one is a big problem, however. This is the big reason why I do not currently have a dog. I am single and work full time at a job to which I commute. Not fair at all to a puppy.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 PM

Studies have shown that pet owners (obviously including dogs) live longer, happier, and healthier lives.

Count me in.

-ptmusic