Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: HOH: Inflection points vs. common sense

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HOH2 rules...even with a couple sketchy hand examples

[/ QUOTE ]

See how it gets worse on a second read?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 07-10-2005, 06:54 PM

I think Harrington is pretty much spot on with his Red Zone play. However, I do think you have to adjust the calling hands you put your opponents on according to where you play (less important) and to a greater degree what buy-in you play.

Harrington has 3 profiles of opponents: tight, looser, and loosest. For my $EV calcs I've created a 4th profile for the stars $22's called "nutbag" and credit this profile for calling with AA through 22, AK through AJ, A10s through A8s, KQ through K10, QJ, J10. The nutbags chance of randomly holding a hand in this category (and thus calling) is 17.3%.

Harrington also does state that your opponents stack size matters, as well as how often you've pushed. Don't push any two against a giant stack after pushing 3 out of the last 4 hands, etc...
Old 07-10-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a. 6 people fold in front of him and he goes all-in with T6o
b. 3rd to act and Dan goes all in with 97s because of his "first-in vigorish"
c. he gets called down by a better hand, and the very next hand he goes all-in from 2nd position with 87o
d. Stealing blinds in CO from 64o.

[/ QUOTE ]

a. I HATE this push w 106o. In that hand, the BB has 2.5X BB and will most likely call with anything and the button has even less than that. if this stole the blinds 10% of the time, i would be surprised. then, he points out that it sucks that people saw 106o - haha.

b. i would like the push better if 1) i didnt just show 106o, AND 2) my stack was big enough to have any folding equity. The BB will have ~3:1 (9100:3200) odds to call - so this push isnt something I would do.

c. i dont mind the next push, i showed down crap the last two times, people might think i am due. Also, the blinds have big stacks, so i think their hand ranges are on the tight side. and...blinds taste good.

d. this is ok as well. position move given the stack and payouts, why not...

Those first two hands are something i would NEVER do on the games i play though. that said, good book and quick read overall.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:01 PM

I haven't read the book yet, been too busy playing basically. But, in mtt's you are always pushing against a full table. If I need to push from early or mid position I would much rather push 97s or 78o. Basically I want 2 live cards with decent chances, and givin the hands that are likely to call 97s is much better than A7.

Steve
Old 07-10-2005, 07:03 PM

I agree BTW, the 97s push is fine. That is, it would be fine if you didn't just FPS away half your stack with T6o.

87o is marginal and I probably fold it especially given that your image is that of a moron at this point. 64o, you may as well.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a. I HATE this push w 106o. In that hand, the BB has 2.5X BB and will most likely call with anything and the button has even less than that. if this stole the blinds 10% of the time, i would be surprised. then, he points out that it sucks that people saw 106o - haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point - I didn't pick up on that on the first read. This push seems to contradict some of his own advice about being careful with desperate short stacks.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:13 PM

Ok, my brain hurts...so I am going to go with Adanthar on these and not change my game.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:14 PM

On the flip side, with the increase of HOH2 readers, what are calling req's for somewhat obvious red-zone moves?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:16 PM

I would be very surprised if anyone at the 20s read HOH2...or any books besides Curious George.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:25 PM

hahahahahaha nh