Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Harrassment

I have a friend who only plays under female names and avatars, so he can have players change their play against him.

Can someone explain why it is bad when two or more players are raising just to force you out of a pot. I may legally change my name if you promise they will do it to me.

As for the chat, just mute it. If you are playing poker for the social aspect of it, sorry not much you can do. Maybe switch sites. FWIW I have seen the least idiotic chat at UB. It exists of course, but not nearly as bad.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:35 AM

I have always played under a name that is obviously female. I often get hit on, which I find amusing - "You do realize you are looking at a cartoon, right?" It is usually light hearted and, since I am actually a woman, I have lots of experience dealing with this kind of thing.

I started playing Party tourneys recently and have had to take some disgusting abuse from railbirds. I am not a trash talker and generally keep a pleasent demeaner at the poker table, both live and online. The railbirds seem to get upset when I have more chips than their friend.

Is there a way to mute a railbird on PP who is not actually sitting at any table you can find? I hate to have to turn off all chat, since I don't want to miss something telling going on with the people I am actually playing with. On the other hand, it has been happening to me so much lately, that I guess I will just get used to it and use it to my advantage as much as possible. It was clearly getting me sympathy from the other players.

The funny thing is, I worry that my dad has to see this, since he plays regularly on one of my accounts.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:23 AM

You should report any and everything that you think is out of line and let customer support deal with these idiots.

You might have your wife say something like that she is really a man because dumbasses always think they can play better than a woman just like them and then she ends up taking their money.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Report.

Each and every time.

There's no room for - and should be zero tolerance for - sexism, racism, cultural and national chauvinism and most other negative and abusive 'isms in poker.

PokerStars is a site that take this very seriously, and I have - in a number of clear cases of sexist chat abuse, including application of demeaning expression in foreign languages - seen Stars time and again terminate the chat privileges of offenders without warning, as they should.

Be reporting you not only protect yourself, but also future victims of the abusive behavior.

And don't for a minute believe players who resort to sexist chat abuse act any differently in non-online situations.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 07-25-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way to mute a railbird on PP who is not actually sitting at any table you can find?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can turn off all observer chat, and still see what players at your table are saying. Just right click in the chat window, and click "turn off viewer chat".
Old 07-25-2005, 05:07 PM

this required a "discussion"?
disable chat?
common sense?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:16 PM

McMelchior is exactly right. Report any kind of insulting chat to support@pokerstars.com whenever it happens. They will send you back an email telling you they appreciate your being their "eyes and ears", and they will say what action they have taken (generally either they revoke the player's chat or give them a warning).

The easiest way to report chat abuse is just copy it from the chat box, then paste it into your email client. Then just put "Chat" in the subject line. (That way you don't divert any more of your attention than necessary from the game. Don't spend time composing an actual message saying what you don't like about what the person said, you don't even have to say "I am writing to complain about the following chat"; just paste it in and they will understand.)

Also don't engage the offenders in a chat war of the "no, you're the moron" variety. Don't bother to tell them that you reported them to support; for all they know it might have been someone else at the table.

Disabling a player's chat is a poor option, because whenever they say something it will appear as "***" and you'll be curious what they are saying. As much as it's unpleasant to see someone making vile insults against you in the chat box, it's even more unpleasant to know they are insulting you and know that everyone at the table except you can see it.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McMelchior is exactly right. Report any kind of insulting chat to support@pokerstars.com whenever it happens. They will send you back an email telling you they appreciate your being their "eyes and ears", and they will say what action they have taken (generally either they revoke the player's chat or give them a warning).

The easiest way to report chat abuse is just copy it from the chat box, then paste it into your email client. Then just put "Chat" in the subject line. (That way you don't divert any more of your attention than necessary from the game. Don't spend time composing an actual message saying what you don't like about what the person said, you don't even have to say "I am writing to complain about the following chat"; just paste it in and they will understand.)

Also don't engage the offenders in a chat war of the "no, you're the moron" variety. Don't bother to tell them that you reported them to support; for all they know it might have been someone else at the table.

Disabling a player's chat is a poor option, because whenever they say something it will appear as "***" and you'll be curious what they are saying. As much as it's unpleasant to see someone making vile insults against you in the chat box, it's even more unpleasant to know they are insulting you and know that everyone at the table except you can see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg always something to cry about huh? so you block their chat and then complain that you're being insulted by somebody you don't know over the internet, and several other people you don't know can read the insults? grow up?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

omg always something to cry about huh? so you block their chat and then complain that you're being insulted by somebody you don't know over the internet, and several other people you don't know can read the insults? grow up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the pre-pubescent take.

The rest of us will continue to report such behaviour each and every time it occurs.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this required a "discussion"?
disable chat?
common sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody else not appreciating this guy's input?