Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2003, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Selective chopper

I was sitting at a table with my brother one time and I liked how he approached a selective chopper. Every time he was in the SB with the S.C. in the BB he would ask, "Chop this one?" If the S.C. gave him a look as if he didn't want to or said he didn't want to my brother would toss anything marginal. If the S.C. said, "ya let's chop this one" my brother would raise with just about anything. It worked about 8 times before the guy just didn't answer my brother anymore. I could hardly keep a straight face.

PokerPrince
Old 02-13-2003, 02:45 PM

bob this is the wrong strategy, remember how you said......he's a selective chopper.....well how about this...

Let's say you pick up a good hand in the BB and he's in the SB and he asks you if you want to chop...you give the same line he'd give you....

"ohh no....I can't chop this....."

Vice versa..if you are in the SB and he's in the BB and your hand is worth playing.....raise....if it's a bad hand....just look over to him.....and say......."so are we going to chop this one up?"

he'll never know what to expect.

and you have the best of both worlds both times in both positions.

Don't just agree to not chopping, because then you are giving away money on....some hands...that he'd chop with.

To be honest with you......I don't care if you chop or don't....I just want to know what you want to do before the cards are dealt....not after....any moron can decide what they want to do after.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:59 PM

Mikey,

The other thing to consider here, is that vehn is a good shorthanded player, it is probably to his advantage to not chop in the first place. Given that, and the fact that this guy wants to play games, I would just play with him all the time.

I guess that if you want to play the selective chopping game back at him, you could, but I would just play in that circumstance. I'll take my shorthanded game against most of the players at the limits I play at, and take my chances, rather than play goofy chopping games with them.

I concede that there is probably some value in doing that, but I would just feel better if we play one way, or the other.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:52 PM

Default Re: funny story

The next time I sit next to him, I'll be sure to be on his...immediate right

What are you thinking? Being on the immediate right of a player who doesn't chop (while you presumably chop with the player on your immediate right) is a substantial -EV situation. You're the only player who has to call a pre-flop bet to see the flop and you'll play the entire hand out of position.

Old 02-13-2003, 04:59 PM

Bob T. is not wrong. It's correct not to chop with this player and to sit on his immediate left.

Vice versa..if you are in the SB and he's in the BB and your hand is worth playing.....raise....if it's a bad hand....just look over to him.....and say......."so are we going to chop this one up?" he'll never know what to expect.

Why not? When you have a hand worth playing, you're raising. When you don't, you're offering to chop. Is that supposed to be difficult to figure out?

And, again, you should never be in the small blind against this opponent.

Old 02-13-2003, 05:18 PM

Default Re: funny story

i'm sorry i meant left......i don't know what i was thinking.....i want to have complete position on him...
Old 02-13-2003, 08:18 PM

So offering to chop is not considered binding?
Old 02-13-2003, 08:29 PM

punch him.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:37 PM

he only asked if he would "like" to chop, not if he would.

Besides, oral contract is only binding if there is consideration [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 09:49 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default easy

you say, were not chopping. and jack his blind with anything reasonable when it's just you 2. f*ck him. he blew it....

i had an A Hole do this to me once....it folded around and i asked if he wanted to chop. the jerk shoots in a raise. (he had chopped earlier, usually we'll ask if they have a 'shot' at a JP, then just see the flop) he looked all smug at that...so...the gloves came off...

i jacked his blind every chance i could. it also helped that the table was a little tighter than usual...he ended up paying quite a bit for that dipshit move. after he did that, i didnt ask for a chop with him, i usually raised.

selective chopping is BS.

b