Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: 10-20 NL hand PP

[ QUOTE ]
Feel like i misplayed nearly every street

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much, maybe not the flop tho
Old 07-10-2005, 03:41 PM

I think preflop raise may or may not be right depending on the table. After the reraise from the villain, a call is reasonable, although folding may be a safe way to play it. I'd be very suspicious about such a small reraise, the guy could easily have aces and try to keep you in the pot. With AK, I don't quite see the purpose of his reraise since he had position and could just see the flop, then decide what to do, or raise more preflop to give you a chance to fold or get more money in the pot if it was his purpose.
On the flop, check-calling is a lame way to play this. You have no idea if you are ahead or behind, and what do you do on the turn if you don't flop a jack? I would checkraise the flop, this way if he does not fold you know for sure you are beat unless he is an idiot.
On the turn and river, unless you put him on aces, you had to get more money in than you did.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no i meant flop. check calling w/ a-j against strong prefloper is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is check raising better?
Old 07-10-2005, 04:11 PM

Check-raising lets you know for sure if you have the best hand or not. If you are called or reraised, you are done with the hand.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-raising lets you know for sure if you have the best hand or not. If you are called or reraised, you are done with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

it also costs you more money and shuts out virtually all the hands you want to play against that are drawing at very few outs. i think the relevant question to be asking is how likely the opponent is to bet a worse hand on the turn after you call the flop. if he is likely to fire again with a worse hand then there is money to be made calling the turn. if he is not then you can get away from the hand more cheaply by folding to a turn bet. raising is just a way of avoiding a tricky decision.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Raising the flop is reasonable, but also does not solve all the problems. What do you do if you get called? Do you bet the turn, or call his bet, or fold?
Old 07-10-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop is reasonable, but also does not solve all the problems. What do you do if you get called? Do you bet the turn, or call his bet, or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? are you responding to someone else? i said i dont like raising the flop.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:32 PM

You said raising is a way of avoiding a tricky decision, I was saying that it does not entirely avoid it.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You said raising is a way of avoiding a tricky decision, I was saying that it does not entirely avoid it.

[/ QUOTE ]

gotcha. the reason i said that is because most of the posts advocating a raise said that after you raise, if he is still there, your done with the hand. if the point of the raise is to figure out where your at and he doesnt go away then you have no more decisions to make in the hand. if someone was advocating the flop raise with a different follow up plan then my apologies for misrepresenting their point of view.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:42 PM

To be done if a raise is called, you have to raise a lot, about the same you would spend on a checkraise. There is just too much of a chance that the villain will call a small raise with a lower ace, and he can do the same with, say, trip aces, which are two very different cases. I don't see him calling a checkraise with a lower ace.