Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Why do they hate us?

Every country has shameful things in the history of its foreign policy, mine as much as any. However, i think that what really gets to a lot of people in Europe (and i suppose elsewhere)is the way in which you would believe, from the language of American leaders (and the rest of them), that America is especially virtueous and all round wonderfull 'defender of the free world'.

If i hear the word "freedom" much more i may well throw up.

This doesn't always hold with its foreign policy which is (like all other countries) largely selfish, and at times genocidal.

This is made more frustrating by the export dominance of US media (films, TV even news) in which the Americans and american history are overwhelmingly shown as positive. This must be even worst in contries adversly effected by american intervention.

Also frustrating is the sense that most americans are happy to buy in to the proud but selective myth of the history of the 'land of the free'.

Sorry if i'm going on a bit but i have been reading some history on the american war of independance and discovered that the moral highground could be seen as going to the british on many issues (I admit it was an english author). The way that the US media had made me assume the worst about my own country upset me a little.

Don't get me wrong, the US has a proud history, its just that you are led to believe in the comic book hero style america so much that i wonder if americans haven't been seduced by their own myth.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:41 PM

This is sensible, and of course we are all genralising hugely. But I think that the 'cowboy swagger'(or maybe read: gung-ho texas oil mad idiot)is easily projected on americans as a stereotype.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:44 PM

Yeah, it is bad luck for US that the president is Texans as Texans are stereotyped as stupid in Europe.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anti-Americanism, then, is more about resentment of American government and American foreign policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think most people separate Americans from American government. Here the typical stereotype of Americans is something like this: very polite and friendly, more religious than average, lack of knowledge of the world outside US.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I think there's an element of one-sidedness to the American worldview that everyone else can see but us. Certainly eveyone is guilty of this to some extent, but it is particularly hurtful for Americans due to our position of power. (Some excusable ignorance is quickly interpreted as inexcusable arrogance, unfortunately)
Old 07-09-2005, 05:09 PM

Yeah, I agree totally. There is nothing uniquely stupid or arrogent about americans but when american foreign policy can affect the entire globe so much then people feel they have the right to criticise. Having said that I think in Europe people are more acceptiing (or at least aware) of the negatives of their nations. Also I think we take patroitism a bit more tounge in cheek than you- i.e we are proud to be british but don't think our society is superior to all others.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate us, too. You'd have to be heartless not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

You poor mixed up kid. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2005, 10:42 PM

They hate us because we are beautiful.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:49 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Anti-Americanism, then, is more about resentment of American government and American foreign policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think most people separate Americans from American government. Here the typical stereotype of Americans is something like this: very polite and friendly, more religious than average, lack of knowledge of the world outside US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here the typical stereotype of Norwegians is: Those blonde headed girls are H-O-T! What? Sweden? Then what's Norway?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here the typical stereotype of Norwegians is: Those blonde headed girls are H-O-T! What? Sweden? Then what's Norway?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is somewhat opposite story as in the US, foreigners tend to like our country but not us [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].