Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Help w/ sng\'s

I have been working on reading through all of shadows links (I am probably half way through). Like you said, I am questioning every move i make. I have had zero success so far, so wondering what I am doing. I guess it seems that when you get down to 5, it becomes and all-in fest, and I find that I fold a lot and so does everyone else. So there is a maniac that does it and gets all the chips. I try it with AJ lets say, and AQ calls. Stuff like that.
But, I know variance can't be this bad. There must be something that I am missing.
Anyone dare to out some of the best players here so i can be that annoying kid who goes along with his dad to a baseball game and ask a thousand questions?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone dare to out some of the best players here so i can be that annoying kid who goes along with his dad to a baseball game and ask a thousand questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between low limit and the 215s are so big that a lot of the plays that work for the best players transfer poorly to lower limits. Of course the same basic principles apply.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:17 PM

AliasMrJones made a nice post yesterday about coming from limit to SNGs.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the reasons the $11's are so beatable is even people with hold 'em experience coming from full table limit don't understand a few key concepts. I came from this background and see the adjustments I made:

1. Playing very tight early, tighter than feels right coming from full table limit. You can literally fold into into the bubble or close to it without losing that much prize money equity. This is especially true because of a lack of understanding of the next key points.

2. As the stack to blind ratio starts to get small (< 10X BB) and the number of players starts to decrease, you should be pushing/folding and pushing with less than feels good from a full table limit ring game perspective. Many players start wild and stay wild (gus hanson syndrome) or start tight and stay tight (OK, maybe not in the $11's). You need to make major adjustments as stack to blind ratio and number of players gets small. You'll see people limping for 1/3 of their stack or raising 40% of their stack and folding to a push late in a SnG or folding waiting for that good hand and letting themselves be blinded down to 1.5XBB so they have no ability to steal blinds any more. (Obviously you don't want to be doing things like this.)

3. Most players don't understand that heads up all-in hand strength is different than full table limit preflop hand strength.

4. Most players don't have much short-handed experience and virtually no heads up experience. I found reading the short handed section of HEPFAP to be helpful.

Don't dispair too much about being down after 90 games. While it probably isn't just variance at this point, it is possible for even a good player to be break even or down after 100 games.

[/ QUOTE ]