Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Trying to get a maniac to chill

[ QUOTE ]
Just adjust to his predictable style of play and outplay him. Isn't that the underlying strategy in poker??

[/ QUOTE ]

A maniac, if reraised to stop him, will likely go all-in, then you have to decide to go all-in with a marginal hand. So you decide to play tight and trap him, but when he raises everything, you have to wait until AA, KK, or maybe QQ before you even move. It's the smart thing to cool him off -- you can't outthink someone who isn't thinking.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I am stunned that people actually enjoy someone running all over the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody said that.

[ QUOTE ]
I am keenly aware of the "wait for a big hand and crush the maniac" play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to add another one. Wait for a hand that is probably better than his, isolate him, and punish him.

Maniacs create a high variance game but they are making so many mistakes that you should be able to handily beat them in the long run. Don't play scared and you'll end up with more of his chips than the players who do.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:56 PM

Stop doing that.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 PM

It sounds like you want him to chill? If so, why? If I knew that by speaking up the maniac would chill, I would keep my mouth shut - but that's because I love maniacs.
Interesting.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

... but when he raises everything, you have to wait until AA, KK, or maybe QQ before you even move.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about the range of hands I'd play against a tight player who raises in front of me. Against a maniac, there are a lot more hands I'll play, even for my full stack. You don't need a lock hand to play back, just one that has an advantage against the range of hands he'll be playing with.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:48 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
However if you're in a tournament, blinds are going up and maniac is on the button every time you're in the blinds, it gets old after a while

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be one of those whiners when someone is jacking your blinds alot. I have a feeling you also don't like this in ringgames. When I see guys who hate that, I tend to try and jack it as much as I can. Why? Why wouldn't I?

It's just a blind. Big whoop.

b
Old 07-09-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, in one-table tournaments it is a big deal. picking up those escalating blinds is the most important part of winning.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:29 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, in one-table tournaments it is a big deal. picking up those escalating blinds is the most important part of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to it as associating it with it being personal that someone is jacking your blinds. The reason to explore it isn't because "It gets old..."

b
Old 07-10-2005, 12:31 AM

Played with exactly this kind of guy at 1/2 NL at Borgata yesterday... Almost every hand where he wasn't a blind, he would automatically raise to $10, or $15-20 if there were a limper or two, and then just attempt to outplay any callers after the flop. He had to buy in for $300 a couple of times, but after awhile everybody game him the action he wanted, and a lot of the other players likely gave up edges to him when he bet strong on the later streets. Myself? Played even tighter than usual, then when I reraised him preflop with KK, he folded but I proceeded to bust one and almost bust another player when i flopped the set and the board paired the river to make me a boat, putting my stack at around $700. Be patient, let him make one mistake too many....
Old 07-10-2005, 12:49 AM

There is someone at one of my local haunts that raises almost every hand when he's ahead in the game. He plays well the rest of the time, though. So what happens is, he wins a pot, then starts raising every hand. Everyone else complains, I three-bet with A9o. Then I win everyone else's money, that he won, from him. That's my favorite game to be in by far.

Early in a tourney, just go all in with him with a hand that's probably better than his. I'd love an early +EV shot at doubling up. If he's going to be a doofus and call you with Q9, fine just make sure you're not pushing with Q8.

Playing your emotions is bad poker. You only want to shut down the maniac because it's pissing you off, not because it helps your game in any way.