Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Couple of things:

First, I think you guys are taking this a little too far. I'm sure him saying that does not mean that Farha threw the match to let Moneymaker win. My guess is that it should be viewed in the context of "Well if I somehow lose this at least I'm glad that it's this unknown guy and not some pro I have to see day in and day out from now until I die."

Second, yeah taxes suck, but don't you think that with the title of World Champion hanging over your head for the rest of your life you can overcome the huge tax payout from winning? How much is Moneymaker raking in just for being the Pokerstars posterboy? Losing on purpose to avoid the tax whip in my opinion is -EV in the long run.

Third, if Sammy Farha really knew that his pair of nines was good and folded to Moneymaker's bluff fully knowing that the move would lead Moneymaker to the victory and be the inspiration for thousands of the new fishy players to start the game and dump money to Sammy for the years to come... well that's a level of thinking that is beyond most human comprehension.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Re: What Was Sam Farha Thinking?

Sounds like an excuse for finishing second. Farha could cite tax reasons, they made a deal, it would be good for the game (and Farha) by enticing amateurs to think they could win the WSOP, and a number of other things. It looks and feels better to say you wanted the other guy to win when you didn't. Especially when the tape of you folding top pair to an all-in bluff is shown repeatedly.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:35 AM

He was pulling your chain...no hint of a bluff...
Old 07-08-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

moneymaker asked him if he wanted to chop sammy turned hin down there is an article in bluff mag
Old 07-08-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was pulling your chain...no hint of a bluff...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding ding. Winna winna chicken dinna.

The Doc
Old 07-08-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure where to post this, but since the discussion occurred in the Bellagio, the post goes here...

It's 1 a.m. on Sunday morning, July 3rd at the Bellagio. I'm chilling at the bar just outside the poker room (just to the right of the High Limit poker room for you Bellagio guru's). I spot Sam Farha grabbing a drink at the same bar and me and my wife decided to ask for his autograph. He obliged, very nice guy. Here's the crazy part...

I told him I was pulling for him against Moneymaker in the 2003 WSOP. His response was that he was actually hoping Moneymaker won the tourney!!! I was baffled, but of course, did not ask him why in attempt to show respect.

I take Sam Farha for his word, not knowing any better, so don't assume he was kidding...certainly he said it with a straight face, with no hint of a "bluff," if you will.

I've developed my own theory on this (which I'll share shortly) BUT WHY THE HELL WOULD FARHA WANT MONEYMAKER TO WIN THE 2003 WSOP, when it gets down to heads-up action?

Conspiracy theorists unite...what are your thoughts as to why Farha would want Moneymaker to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

You think you're the first person to tell Farha you were pulling for him? I'm sure he has a line he always uses when talking to fans like that, and he probably intended to confuse you, or at least pull your leg.

The Doc
Old 07-08-2005, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was baffled, but of course, did not ask him why in attempt to show respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only idiot who would just say "Why the hell is that?" Seems reasonable to me.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:46 AM

He was setting up a punchline, but you didn't follow through!!

"I'm actually glad Moneymaker won."

"Why?"

"So I have less a$$holes like you asking me for my autograph."
Old 07-08-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
very nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha ha...

SpaceAce
Old 07-08-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He was setting up a punchline, but you didn't follow through!!

"I'm actually glad Moneymaker won."

"Why?"

"So I have less a$$holes like you asking me for my autograph."

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny.