Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Flopped Flush Gets Reraised

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on a set or A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10. I reraised all in and he called and showed A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I could have easily gotten away from this hand with deeper stacks. I don't know if it would be possible (for me, atleast) to get away from this with only $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has the naked A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then he is much more likely to raise the LP bet, than he is to minraise your checkraise (after a bet and a call), as he now must be sure that you have a hand that you are not likely to laydown.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how do you like this line? call and push all in on the turn if no diamond hits.

if he has a lone A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] you save the money if he makes the nuts on the turn. if he has a higher flush you have some chance to keep your money. if he has the unlikely set, it sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats no good - if he will get it in now with the bare A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then push it now - he has only 7 outs - so we are a monster fave right now (if he has the bare A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]

to clarify my reasoning:
if we are afraid that our equity is less than 50%, we can call and if the turn is no diamond, our equity goes up automatically. maybe it is sufficent to push it in then.

an example:
if we assume villain has a higher flush 35% of the time and the naked A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 65%, we have about 45% equity on the flop but 52% on the turn, assuming a blanc hits.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how do you like this line? call and push all in on the turn if no diamond hits.

if he has a lone A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] you save the money if he makes the nuts on the turn. if he has a higher flush you have some chance to keep your money. if he has the unlikely set, it sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats no good - if he will get it in now with the bare A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then push it now - he has only 7 outs - so we are a monster fave right now (if he has the bare A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]

to clarify my reasoning:
if we are afraid that our equity is less than 50%, we can call and if the turn is no diamond, our equity goes up automatically. maybe it is sufficent to push it in then.

an example:
if we assume villain has a higher flush 35% of the time and the naked A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 65%, we have about 45% equity on the flop but 52% on the turn, assuming a blanc hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we wait until the turn and then open push - naked A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] will often fold, and we will always be called by a better made flush.

Waiting until the turn is often good in cases where you have something like top pair, and get raised on the flop. You suspect that the other guy is on a draw. Here you can see a turn card. If it is a blank - you can push (as you have decided that he is drawing), while if it makes the draw then you can check/fold (as he was either drawing and got there, or was ahead all the time). Villains can often have close to 50/50 chances of beating us if we get it all in on the flop and they are drawing, so we take a turn and try to lean the odds in our favour before committing our chips.

In this case if villain is drawing he has either 7 outs (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], or 7 now and 10 on river (set). We dont mind him gambling now, because if he is behind is has max 33% equity. If he is ahead, well thats just tough for us - but we prefer the money in now, in case he folds the turn push. Also villain is much more likely to gamble it up with naked A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the flop, than the turn.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:56 AM

when you flop it, i'm trying to get all my money in on the flop and see if he will follow. if he's outflopped me, he's getting my stack and i'll rebuy.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:18 AM

So, it sounds like this is one of those unfortunate situations where I just have to pay him off, unless the stacks are deeper.

I didn't plan to check raise here. I planned to check-call, and lead the turn if the it was a blank. The $7 bet was extremely small for this game (even with the small pot). So, I raised to build the pot, and push the turn. The reraise just put me in a bad spot.