Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Raising with a Flush on the End

I can see that re-raising the turn is the best line for the majority of cases when getting check-raised.

For the second part of the question, though, what is the line to take if you've re-raised the turn and no fourth flush card falls on the river? If your opponent calls your river bet, then I think your winning chances are probably good, but how about when you get check-raised again? How often is your king high flush good in this case and is it good often enough to "call for the size of the pot"?

Essentially, does a bet on the end have positive EV taking into account all of these situations?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:43 PM

I think it sounds like you lost to the nut flush and are being results oriented. You have the second nut hand, and he could easily have a lower flush or this being low limit could have something really dumb. I don't think the question is if calling is + or -ev but if you should consider putting in the third bet.

Frogic
Old 07-07-2005, 02:53 PM

I say raise the turn and river until your hands fall off, and if he has the nuts, go kick a puppy.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:56 PM

Letting up here on a non-threatening river would be playing much too weak-tight. Three-bet the turn, raise the river even if he caps-leads, and consider slowing down only if you get three-bet on the river. Remember... people like flushes, and would cap-lead with hands a lot worse than the second nuts.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:42 PM

In the actual hand, I raised his river bet and he three bet. I went to four bets because I showed weakness on the turn to induce a bluff.

In this one particular situation, it appears that the results justified my playing the hand this way because he in fact folded for the four-bet. I suppose he decided to run a bluff at me on the turn and got emboldened when i simply called his raise instead of three-betting. I'm going to lose my faith in people if he didn't have the ace of hearts in his hand and kept betting because he knew i couldn't have the nuts.

However, I agree with everyone saying continue to raise until my hands fall off (turn included). I had assumed this guy was standard (and not completely donkish as it turns out) and i really felt queasy making it four bets on the river with the second nuts when the betting war didn't break out until the third flush card came.

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone.