Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: getting all the money in PF with AK

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yes, although I prefer just making a 10xBB raise which I also make with AA-QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. Why go all-in if a smaller bet will do the trick? Plus, someone with AA or KK could be limp-reraising.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is stack size dependent. I think at around 100xbb stacks, pushing or betting more might be better as people are prone to call 10xBB raises with mid pocket pairs.

Also, adjust between full ring and 6max as limp reraise is much more likely at fullring although i've seen a limp reraised AA from the button before at 6max.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:50 PM

but why push just to win the limps, when you're only going to get called by a hand that beats you? if you raise 10xBB and a mid pair calls you, at least you're in good shape if you pair up on the flop and you'll win his call (most times). if not, you're probably done with the hand, especially in these hands where you're not in position. maybe a continuation bet on the flop, but after raising 10xBB, that might be quite a continuation bet, maybe committing you to the pot depending on your stack.

man, AK in a blind after a bunch of limps is not a place where i want to be often.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:53 PM

The nice thing is that AK is a hand that many people are willing to get all in with. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have done it on occasion but it was based on some pretty specific reads.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:53 PM

the problem is you only pair 1/3 of the time and I don't want to play AK out of position when I don't pair. it depends very much on how table plays. If I believe that they will fold to continuation bet without a set then raising to 10xBB is correct play. if however, they are able to play back at you without too much of a hand, then I think pushing preflop could be better.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:55 PM

I think you are priced in to call in hand 1. Hand 2 is terrible unless the guy has been doing this a lot or if he just suffered a bad beat. In my experience someone that has taken a bad beat will push with weak hands trying to build their stack back up quickly and "get lucky".