Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Why Do Jews Reject Jesus?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi David:

End of Days prophecies associated with the Jewish messiah include:

1. Israel re-established as a nation.
2. Universal knowledge of God.
3. Return of remnants of all lost tribes to Israel.
4. No more war.
5. No more disease.
6. Israel becomes most important country in the world.
7. Recognition that the Jews had it right all along by kings of the nations.
8. City of Damascus is obliterated.
9. Resurrection of the dead.
10. Reconstruction of the Temple.

And there are others. None of these occurred during the First Century AD. In fact, in some cases the opposite happened. Thus Jesus doesn't meet the requirements.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

You almost got all of it. In the year 6000 the messiah is believed to automatically come, regardless of whether or not any requirements are met.

[/ QUOTE ]

So like basically he just gets tired of waiting? Is there any other insight into that one?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi David:

End of Days prophecies associated with the Jewish messiah include:

4. No more war.
5. No more disease.

And there are others. None of these occurred during the First Century AD. In fact, in some cases the opposite happened. Thus Jesus doesn't meet the requirements.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

You almost got all of it. In the year 6000 the messiah is believed to automatically come, regardless of whether or not any requirements are met.

[/ QUOTE ]

So like basically he just gets tired of waiting? Is there any other insight into that one?

[/ QUOTE ]

The messiah is destined to come in the year 6000. Jews have the power to bring him sooner. The sooner they bring the messiah, the sooner heaven comes to earth.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He [Jesus] preched most excellent morality and the equality of man; but he preached also against the corruptions and avariance of the Jewish priests, and this brought upon him the hatred and vengeance of the whole order of priesthood.

[/ QUOTE ]
-Thomas Paine, Age of Reason
Old 07-06-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

4. No more war.
5. No more disease.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm stunned. Apart from Rastafarianism, Judaism has to be the most racist religion around. It's so easy to see how these beliefs evolved out of the dreams of oppressed pilgrims wandering the desert 2500 years ago and hoping for a glorious time when their oppressors are punished and they rule the world.

How can these ideas still hold in the 21st Century, let alone be considered absolute truth? I now understand why they won't give an inch in the territories they occupy with beliefs like these.

Apologies for the off topic, I've never really looked at Judaism before and this list just stunned me.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

4. No more war.
5. No more disease.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm stunned. Apart from Rastafarianism, Judaism has to be the most racist religion around. It's so easy to see how these beliefs evolved out of the dreams of oppressed pilgrims wandering the desert 2500 years ago and hoping for something better.

How can these ideas still hold in the 21st Century, let alone be considered absolute truth? I now understand why they won't give an inch in the territories they occupy with beliefs like these.

Apologies for the off topic, I've never really looked at Judaism before and this list just stunned me.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the old testament, jews are the chosen people. They are required to perform 612 mitzvahs (good deeds) to keep peace in the world and bring the messiah. Non-jews are only required to perform seven mitzvahs. In essence, Jews are slaves to the non-jews and are meant to work harder to achieve the same goal. Also, they obviously believe that there will be recognition that Jews had it right all along because the messiah will have revealed himself. At that point, the non-jews will compliantly assist the jews in performing their 612 mitzvahs.

[ QUOTE ]
I now understand why they won't give an inch in the territories they occupy with beliefs like these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a very intellectual comment. Especially from someone who doesn't appear to understand either issue.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
According to the old testament, jews are the chosen people.

[/ QUOTE ]
I knew that already, but it's not a very healthy belief to have imo. Especially considering how far they take it.

[ QUOTE ]
Not a very intellectual comment. Especially from someone who doesn't appear to understand either issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I understand the issue quite well, I have read a lot about it. What I never understood is why, with complete military and economic control, they couldn't find a way to give those illegally occupied lands back over the space of 40 years. They could do it if the will was there, in spite of the obstacles. There has to be a cultural and religious attitude hindering them doing what's achievable, morally correct, and long overdue.

I've hijacked this thread enough, I might take this up in the politics forum.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:05 AM

Christians believe that Jesus met all of those requirements and/or will meet those requirements in the second coming.

Christians believe that Jesus was rejected by the Jewish authorities of the day because those authorities were looking for a mesiah that would provide them with political and military power to rise up from Roman rule. Instead Jesus attacked the Jewish authorities of his days for adhering to a strict literal interpretation of the law while failing to show compasion to the poor and oppressed. Those same authorities were threatened by Jesus's beliefs and popularity with the masses and had him crucified.

I think the fact that Jesus offended the Jewish leaders in his day probably has more to do with his rejection than the actual prophecies, because we can always hand wave and reinterpret prophecy to the point that anyone can fulfill them.

People believe what they prefer to believe. Some people chose to agree with the established Jewish leaders of the day and others chose to follow Jesus's teachings.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:13 AM

While Jews believe that the messiah hasn't come yet, Christians think that the Jews's messiah will be the antichrist when he tries to rebuild the temple a third time.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:39 AM

[quote[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I understand the issue quite well, I have read a lot about it. What I never understood is why, with complete military and economic control, they couldn't find a way to give those illegally occupied lands back over the space of 40 years. They could do it if the will was there, in spite of the obstacles. There has to be a cultural and religious attitude hindering them doing what's achievable, morally correct, and long overdue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stunned that you would say this. Do you think the United States should give a lot of their territory back to Mexico? If the answer is no, then why not?

We could probably go down a list and have nations give territory back to their 'rightful owner.'
Old 07-06-2005, 06:48 AM

Jesus didn't fulfill any of the messianic prophecies. Some Christians point to various verses from the Hebrew bible that they think prove Jesus was the messiah, but all these "proofs" are based on mistranslations and/or taking verses out of context. Many of them are discussed here: outreachjudaism.org/questions

The real messiah will be a man, not God, so we won't worship the messiah. God said that He is not a man, and to worship Him alone. Worshipping any man (like jesus) as if he were a god (or God) is idolatry. Also God said not to add to (nor subtract from) the Torah, and not to follow anyone (like Jesus, Paul, etc.) who tell us not to follow Torah. So we are commanded not to follow Jesus or Christianity.

God explicitly commands us NOT to follow any other religion (Dt 6:12-15, 13:1-12, Ps 81:8-9), even if the “prophet” of this new faith produces a miracle (Dt 13:2-4). Instead, we are commanded to follow God’s Torah forever (Ecc. 13:14, Dt 2:4, 29:28, Is 40:18, Ps 111:7-8, Ex 31:16, Num 15:23), even into and including the messianic age (Ezek 11:19-20, 37:24, 44:9, Zach 14:16).

So, in rejecting Jesus, we are just following God and doing what He commands. We reject Islam, Mormonism and lots of other religions for the same reason. We have no reason to believe that any of those religions are from God. All these other religions came along and claim that they have a new message from God, that He changed his mind and now we are supposed to follow them, the rules have changed, do this instead...bla bla bla. But God already said (in the bible) that we are to follow the Torah forever, and that He isn't a man and that He doesn't change His mind. So we just continue to follow Him.