Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Holy crap I suck on teh bubble. Help meeee.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is how I approach the bubble. I almost always enter the bubble either third or fourth in chips. When I get to this point, I do not play aggressive like most would suggest. I approach it as a chess match between me and the next closest guy in chips than me. You typically want to always stay a little ahead of him in chips. If he is playing really tight, then play tight as well. You counter his every move. Only recently did I start using this approach and it is by far the best approach I've ever used. It forces you to only make the moves that are neccessary in order to make the money, which is the first goal before going for 1.

This method will 'almost' always make you shorstacked going into the money, but by no means eliminate your chances at 1. You might think that your ROI will decrease but that's not neccessarily true. Using this method you will become a master of the shortstack and get 1 more than you think and plenty of 2's. I hardly ever get third. Also, if you are decently stacked on the bubble, there is no need to make moves with your A6. Let yourself dwindle just a little and maybe someone will slip and lose in the meantime. If you do get dwindled to where you are close to the shortstack, use the counter strategy method I described above.

BTW, these are just my thoughts and I know I am newbie which takes away from most (if not all) of the credibilty in this reply. At least to a veteran like you I would seem to think this is a quick breeze and maybe a chuckle. But I am not a poker newbie, know that. Try this out and you might find it to be very effective. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, good or bad. Oh yea, Butler, Pa here. Peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mirroring the next lowest in chips isn't a bad idea.

Turning into a weak-tight player is, however.

Get aggressive on the bubble. Win SNG's. Getting third won't accomplish much to raise that ROI your looking at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh and my ROI is suffering.

I've played 38 in my return, and haven't WON one yet. I am certainly feeling like I am in the midst of a downswing, so it's not affecting me, but my ITM is staying a cool 38%, which will eventually make my ROI 20% or so, which I am totally happy with.

I still want SNG Power Tools. Eastbay, discount, HOLLA!

So in general my play is good, but these 3 just had a couple questionable moves?

Should I post some HH's where I got 2nd and 3rd?

Thanks fellas. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 07:06 PM

I don't hate the 23 hand. The idea is often correct, the bet is just too much.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is how I approach the bubble. I almost always enter the bubble either third or fourth in chips. When I get to this point, I do not play aggressive like most would suggest. I approach it as a chess match between me and the next closest guy in chips than me. You typically want to always stay a little ahead of him in chips. If he is playing really tight, then play tight as well. You counter his every move. Only recently did I start using this approach and it is by far the best approach I've ever used. It forces you to only make the moves that are neccessary in order to make the money, which is the first goal before going for 1.

This method will 'almost' always make you shorstacked going into the money, but by no means eliminate your chances at 1. You might think that your ROI will decrease but that's not neccessarily true. Using this method you will become a master of the shortstack and get 1 more than you think and plenty of 2's. I hardly ever get third. Also, if you are decently stacked on the bubble, there is no need to make moves with your A6. Let yourself dwindle just a little and maybe someone will slip and lose in the meantime. If you do get dwindled to where you are close to the shortstack, use the counter strategy method I described above.

BTW, these are just my thoughts and I know I am newbie which takes away from most (if not all) of the credibilty in this reply. At least to a veteran like you I would seem to think this is a quick breeze and maybe a chuckle. But I am not a poker newbie, know that. Try this out and you might find it to be very effective. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, good or bad. Oh yea, Butler, Pa here. Peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how most people play on the bubble, it is also a terrible strategy that leads to a lot of 3rd place finishes.