Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: AK against a maniac and the rest of the table

[ QUOTE ]
If you do not play in these tough spots preflop, you will never develop your post flop skills.

I would gladly cap here, unless I knew for certain UTG would only raise with AA. I cannot see folding this against these opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike,

Thanks for the welcome. I was really worried about reading hands post-flop which ended up being my problem. It was very hard to put anyone on a hand.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:06 PM

I was really worried about reading hands post-flop which ended up being my problem. It was very hard to put anyone on a hand.

Finish what you started, how did the rest of the hand develop?
Old 07-04-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: well I didn\'t fold and have another tough decision

Maniac (SB) bets, UTG raises, Hero ?

Cannot fold. Your most likely looking at a capped turn no matter if you call or reraise.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:19 PM

Default results (not really the point)

[ QUOTE ]

Finish what you started, how did the rest of the hand develop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand isn't really about the results. The Maniac had T9o and hit an eight on the river for a straight. I never found for sure what UTG had. He claimed he had 77 for a set.

My problem is that I tend to lose a lot of money at tables with aggressive maniacs, mostly because I can't read hands at all. It seems to be nearly impossible.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (20 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (16.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (26.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 29.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 9d Ts (straight, ten high).
UTG doesn't show.
Hero has Ah Kd (one pair, kings).
Outcome: SB wins 29.50 BB. </font>
Old 07-04-2005, 11:28 PM

First off, against maniacs, you need to isolate, isolate, isolate. If he's going to bluff raise anything, never ever cold call a raise of his, always 3 bet, unless there are a sea of cold callers in already. You can manipulate him to protect your hand if he's to the left of you and use him to build big pots if he's to the right of you (ideal). You need to realize that the money doesn't mean much to them, they are having fun. Let him bluff at hands, and don't go too crazy with marginal hands (like midpair). You also need to remember the rule of overcalling, as a maniac will losen up a table and often you can gain more bets by going for overcalls than you will getting a cap in with him. Also, be careful when the maniac slows down in a hand. If he's been capping capping capping every street, and he checks the river...unless you have a very strong hand (i.e. set, nut straight, etc), you can easily check behind and take the free showdown.

Also, a good move against LAGs is to confuse them if you can. Change your play post flop, change gears heads up, and even use some "fancy plays" if you can find a spot to use them (and use them well)