Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Party 30-60 Turned nuts

In regards to #2, you should not be leading at every flop just becuase you raise preflop. You raise preflop for the value of your hand but its value can obviously decrease drastically on certain flops. Enough so that instead of betting you would check call or even check fold some.

Run those sims and that shoudl be enough to convince you that you made a FatalError in this hand preflop.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:26 PM

In regards to #1 I think you might be a little confused. By raising preflop you are going to accomplish the exact opposite of what you intend to do. By doubling the size of the pot you will entise your opponents to play on with any piece at all. This in itself has both benefits and drawbacks, but its overall impact is miniscule when compared to the +EV bump you get from getting more money in with the best of it.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the advice, i guess i was playing a little too gunshy on my first trip to 30-60 online, i could'nt pass up a seat on this megafish's right, i actually won 2500 on the session but still felt like i left 3-4 bets on the table over the course of the session and this was the hand where i felt like this happened most, i guess i missed a full 3-4 BB in there which is a little painful to realize
Old 07-04-2005, 10:52 PM

I hate to quibble [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but 5c 3c was the nuts on the turn. I agree with capping the flop and I'm fast becomming a convert to raisng preflop here too.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't joking or exaggerating at all when I said not raising preflop was one of the biggest mistakes you've ever made in limit hold em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you were. All of the biggest mistakes in limit holdem are folds. By a longshot.

Not raising here is quite bad, much worse than not capping the flop, but to call it one of the worst mistakes ever... come on.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:01 AM

Hi FatalError,

Some big mistakes in this hand, and they're not even in the spots you're asking about.

1st, raise preflop. You have the best hand AND the best draw. What more could you ask from just two cards?

2nd, cap the flop. You cap for value, and it looks like you may have a hand as weak as 1 pair when you lead after turning a flush. Oddly, the flop cap makes money in itself, AND it gets you more action should you make your hand. Sweet combination.

Having mucked it all up the way you did, leading the turn is fine. The trouble with checking is a) it may get checked through, and b) if it's not checked through, the most likely bet is on your right, so you face the field w/ 2 cold in a spot where you want everyone calling. Sadly, betting screams nut flush too, but at least they only have to call 1 to satisfy their curiosity.

Good luck.
Eric