Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 04:47 AM

Default Re: You guys fold faster than a........

I had the same at the weekend. They didn't even rise to the bait when I deliberately raised from UTG with 72off, and showed em when they all folded. I shoulda not bothered, and just kept stealing, but felt I'd made it far too obvious to start stealing after that, so had to wait 3-4 rounds before I started - made a bit from em though after that!

Remember - if you can steal 3 out of 5 times, you're in profit. And even when they call, sometimes the flop goes your way - and even then, it's pretty easy to buy tight games!
Old 07-04-2005, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What should I say at a tight table that folds to everything. Like sometimes I rasie and the fold button is prechecked so the table folds in like 3 seconds. What should I say to loosen up the table or to alteast create some talk.

P.S. Do not say find a new table, that is not what I am asking.

[/ QUOTE ]
As it has been said before, when you are online you have soooo many other tables to choose from that there is no point in staying at that table. Just find a new one because on any day at any hour online you should be able to find another table to replace this one somewhat easily. If not, it will take just a little bit of work but not much. When playing live and this happens the answer is steal steal steal. And keep stealing some more and then steal more. Take the blinds, when they defend the blinds take it on the flop with nothing. Play more hands then usual with the purpose of stealing. IMO, you should not show your hands. This is one of those situations which is rare in poker these days but you should take advantage of still. You have opponents that are making mistakes by playing too tight. When you show your hands you are loosing them up but by loosing them up you are pulling them in closer to playing optimally. You want to keep letting them making mistakes by keep letting them playing too tight so do not show your hands. Just keep stealing those blinds and stealing those flops.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:27 PM

Why would you want to change tables? Winning the blinds equates to a win rate of 75 BB/100. As several said above, start raising with marginal hands once every 5-6-7 hands. Say nothing and for heavens sake don't show your bluffs. When you get called, see the flop and play through aggressively if at all playable, then tighten up a bit. You're in the perfect position when your opponents are afraid of you. You won't get many 10 BB pots but you'll make far more money 0.75 - 3 BB at a time.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-04-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I usually do is: Bluff when confident that the table will fold. And I don't mean bluff with Ace-high, when the board reads something like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], bluff so that everyone folds and then you show them your 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Good players will laugh at this but if you do this often enough you will have the average players get mad and will do anything to go after you, even play cards they don't usually play. Emotional players will want to return the favor to you by bluffing with a mediocre hand so they can show it to you. That's what you want, them betting only to get you to fold when in reality you hold the monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be sure to confirm with the poker gods that you're going to be dealt plenty of monsters in the next few orbits prior to trying this.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:49 PM

Default All of these are great suggestions, but...

...it still makes no sense to invest money and effort into forcing a tight players to play looser, when loose and stupid players are a dime a dozen. You want to make better (in relative terms) players into worse players in order to make more money. Why not just put the effort into playing against players who are already bad? Online, these are many.

Last night at Canterbury, there were two 8/16 tables. One was chopping blinds or seeing 2-3 to the flop. The other was seeing 5-6 to every flop, with multiple cold-callers to every preflop raise. When my name came up, I was sent to the bad table. My choices were to try to make the bad table good, or put in for a table change. I put in for the change, played very tightly, chopped my blinds once or twice and moved when a seat opened up. Online, this is MUCH easier.

Bottom line, good table selection is more valuable than good table manipulation.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: All of these are great suggestions, but...

[ QUOTE ]
My choices were to try to make the bad table good, or put in for a table change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just sit there and hammer on the weak-tighties, which would have been my choice. A little preflop tightness hardly makes for a bad table by itself.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: All of these are great suggestions, but...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My choices were to try to make the bad table good, or put in for a table change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just sit there and hammer on the weak-tighties, which would have been my choice. A little preflop tightness hardly makes for a bad table by itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said they were weak-tighties. I said they were tight. They were a mixture of TAG and weak-tight. Fact is, you make little money from weak-tight players and a lot of money from loose-bad players. Anyone who chooses a table full of rocks over a table full of loose morons is a fool.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise with utter crap a few times and then when everyone folds show your hand. Do that a couple of times and you will be sure to get callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just keep raising and not showing?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise with utter crap a few times and then when everyone folds show your hand. Do that a couple of times and you will be sure to get callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just keep raising and not showing?

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding

while tight predictable opponents may not be the most profitable opponents, they are probably the easiest to deal with.