Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Pushing with more than 10x the BB

In my mind, the most important reason for NOT pushing here is to preserve your table image. With your short stack, you're gonna be forced to push/fold really soon. If you push here, I think it presents a table image that you are a crazy maniac that pushes with A3, K7, etc. You'll be much more likely to get called when you push later and the blinds are actually worth something. In general, I think this is not something you want.

In this particular situation I make a standard raise or even limp and play the flop.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:54 AM

What is the buy in?
Old 07-04-2005, 01:11 PM

I think that you're overlooking how valuable 99 is. Heads up its only going to run into an overpocket that dominates it 2.4% of the time and you will have him dominated 84.5% of the time. Based on your description of how the action turns out, it looks like you are afraid that you are going to get outplayed since you are out of position. If he is as aggressive as you fear it looks like you have two options: limp and reraise all in, or reraise and be prepared to call a push. After all, if he is going to reraise you all in with any ace, any pocket, QJ, KJ+ then you will still win 60.6% of showdowns. Basically, although it doesn't seem like it you have a monster and you do and you really can't afford to waste it.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:15 PM

Old 07-04-2005, 01:20 PM

I think limping may not be a bad option if the guy is the kind of LAG who would take offense to that pre flop. It allows me to push back at him with a hand that will dominate his a lot more than I am dominated. Of course, I will also be letting him hit with his J7o when he limps behind a lot and that makes me think this isn't the hottest of limps. I think you're right though, I am underestimating the strength of 99.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:21 PM

If you raise 3x he will sometimes try to resteal with hands you dominate, if you push he will only call with hands that are at worst 45/55 but most times dominate you. From your post it seems like you think the fact that he will resteal is bad. It is good. Many players will try to resteal with 88 or A5 here. If this guy is the LAG you talk about and you have a tight image maybe he resteals with even worse hands. You say he's a donkish LAG why do you only want him to make one, relatively easy, decision in the hand?
Old 07-04-2005, 01:26 PM

Okay, fair enough. I like it.