Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand vs Harrington

It just seems that I have some flexibility in representing a hand and I sacrifice that value it by merely calling in a tough spot.

He check-raises me on the river, because (I think) he knows that I pretty much have to bet whether I have a big hand or no hand--and because he doesn't put me on any of those annoying Ax/small pair hands that have him beat. Now, if I move allin after he check-raises, he has a tough decision--do I have 22-55, Ax for a full house, etc?

Even if we assume that Harrington actually has one of those hands some small percentage of the time, and further assume that he will call with AQ and fold AK equally often to the re-raise--can we determine whether or not this is a good time to put the heat on?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering what hand ranges you had him on as the hand developed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really think too hard about his range, since I was pretty happy with my hand on the flop and turn, although I recall thinking that there's no way has the wheel. I wish I had taken that line of thought a little farther and made the ballsy play on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
also, how'd you do overall?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played well on Day 1 and made it to day 2 with a healthy stack which blew off all my chips in exactly 3 hands, essentially bluffing. I'll attribute it to lack of focus or whatever, but it was a low point of the trip..
Old 07-03-2005, 04:47 PM

I agree, it's unlikely Harrington folds if he's willing to make the re-raise. The range of hands he probably has you on might include an AQ and AJ, considering he doesn't know you. He probably considers a set of 5's fairly unlikely; it would be strange to lead right out, then check an Ace pairing (which is likely to give Harrington a draw to a better boat.) Also, you could just be running a terrible bluff for all he knows. Very slim chance Dan folds here, I think it was right to call.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think, if Harrington plans on folding to a push, then there is no way he risks check-raising you for T1000 more.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point, but, is it worth the risk to push given 1) a very low likelihood that he does fold the same hand and 2) an equally low likelihood that he has you beat.

Remember, too, that this is a relatively deep-stack event. 1500 might be the exact amount he is willing to fold if I come over and he reads me for a winner.

Does your line of thought tell us that a push on the river vs., say, Phil Hellmith should be automatic?