Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Mucking in Home Games

[ QUOTE ]
I extend interest free house credit to any player in my game who is considered a regular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I hope it works out for you. In general, your "friends" are going to screw you bigtime, though. May you be the lucky one who actually manages to get it back.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I extend interest free house credit to any player in my game who is considered a regular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I hope it works out for you. In general, your "friends" are going to screw you bigtime, though. May you be the lucky one who actually manages to get it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've followed the same practice and haven't been burned in the 10+ years we've had our games together. Maybe it'll happen at some point, but these are great friends, and I'm not worried about getting burned.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:20 PM

Mucking a hand you win when no one calls your bet or raise is, to me, VERY IMPORTANT. Your "friends" want to know whether or not you bluffed. That information is EXTREMELY valuable. If you were to show your hand every time you won a pot for free (meaning no one called) you, you give your opponants a HUGE advantage. Your basically allowing them to know whether or not they should call or fold on your raises.
That your friends want you to show them your cards everytime is absolutely absurd. I will show my cards OCCASIONALLY but only for table image/confusion purposes.
I suggest you print out the responses to your post and show them to your friends. Also, you might ask them to watch poker on TV. Rarely, if ever, do you see pro players show their cards. They might learn a thing or two.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:23 PM

I'm from the old school of "once you're busted, you're busted..." I do have great friends that I play with an I have loaned money to them many times. It just bugs me when guys show up to games with short arms and deep pockets. So by borrowing $$ (if they don't win it back)they wont have to pay it back until the next game... Maybe it's just me but it KILLS me!
Old 07-04-2005, 06:40 PM

I'm thinking about printing it out to show them.

I agree with the advantage mucking gives you. Once in a while I'll show a big bluff, and then a few hands later, with a similar betting pattern, I'll show the monster boat. But for the most part, I like to not show my cards when I take down a pot for free.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be a good judge of character. Don't let douchebags into your home game is my motto.

-kyo
Old 07-04-2005, 11:49 PM

I would just point out how mucking makes the game better. I'd explain how it makes bluffs work more.

I mean, seriously, not allowing mucking is WEAK.

And I play for mega-low-stakes with my friends.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:55 PM

Typically in a friendly home game I find it somewhat to be courtesy to show your losing hand sometimes, but whatever it's no big deal. I've never see anyone complain and I don't. I think it's just dependant on the atmosphere. Eh, I've never seen it become an issue...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:48 AM

I agree mucking should be allowed but it doesn't have much bearing on the game. Wouldn't showing a lot of strong hands after you bet allow you to bluff later on too???
Old 07-09-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree mucking should be allowed but it doesn't have much bearing on the game. Wouldn't showing a lot of strong hands after you bet allow you to bluff later on too???

[/ QUOTE ]

Having the option to muck does not mean that you ca' tsnhow your card whenever u want. You can still flip over those strong losing hands if you chose but keep in mind that if you're mucking your simply conceding the hand/pot