Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Need your guys advice.. (interesting post, honest)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think an employer will be impressed by someone who gambled for a living (win or not) instead of doing something useful with their time? Poker is a useless activity.

To the average employer it hints at irresponsibility, immaturity and laziness. JMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, the reason i discarded this factor when making my post was that i don't intend to play poker full time for any period of time, only while I'm still studying. That way when the employer asks, I just tell them I quit my part time job in my final year of of my degree because I had to knuckle down and work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can certainly do this but interning somewhere part-time in your field would almost definitely be better for your long-term career. If the choice is between flipping burgers at McDonald's or playing poker, playing poker is almost definitely better, but if you can find something that will facilitate your long-term career, I think passing it up would be a big mistake.

Then again, this is coming from a guy with an engineering degree and a math degree who is trying to make a living playing classical music so WTF do I know?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:31 PM

one last thing, with playing poker online all the time is you have -EV situations in real life. these include, but are not limited to

women
social contracts/gatherings
appointments
drinking

all of these and more inhibit how much u can make in a given night. Women especially..
Old 07-01-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one last thing, with playing poker online all the time is you have -EV situations in real life. these include, but are not limited to

women
social contracts/gatherings
appointments
drinking

all of these and more inhibit how much u can make in a given night. Women especially..

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, this is an annoying factor.

Anyhow about the CV thing, I just remembered why i had discarded this in my mind, I'm doing a degree for another year or so..

Pot Emp: So what did you do for work between that year and this?

Me: Studied hard, dissertations aren't easy.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:45 PM

i say go for it, working sucks. what's the worst that could happen? you bust out and have to get another boring, crappy part-time job. take advantage of only needing to work part-time and make it something that you enjoy.

What game are you playing?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i say go for it, working sucks. what's the worst that could happen? you bust out and have to get another boring, crappy part-time job. take advantage of only needing to work part-time and make it something that you enjoy.

What game are you playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

NL/PL $50

Still micro I know, but it beats the hell out of part time work both pay and satisfaction wise.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NL/PL $50

Still micro I know, but it beats the hell out of part time work both pay and satisfaction wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like this is a math problem to me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

what is your bankroll? what is your winrate? convert your expenses into an hourly figure and subtract that from your winrate. using your bankroll, the adjusted winrate, and an unadjusted std dev, figure out your risk of ruin using this formula. if it's fairly insignificant (<1%), i think you should go for it.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NL/PL $50

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like this is a math problem to me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

what is your bankroll? what is your winrate? convert your expenses into an hourly figure and subtract that from your winrate. using your bankroll, the adjusted winrate, and an unadjusted std dev, figure out your risk of ruin using this formula. if it's fairly insignificant (<1%), i think you should go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its more of social what if's rather than math [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BR: *clicks on cashiers* stands currently at $2100 across two accounts

Winrate?

Bleh, if i merged the databases it would average out to around 10PTBB/100. No idea how many hands I play an hour 6-tabling, I'd guess around 7-800 hands.

Expenses into an hourly figure?

It varies, I'm a student!

and if you think I'm going to be able to use that formula with any accuracy you had better think again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2005, 12:46 PM

I suggest not quitting until you are making at least double what you are making at your job.

Also, you should make sure you have enough money outside your bankroll to sustain you for a few months should things turn south.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Start preparing yourself for your future full-time job. Look for a part-time job or internship that will give you some real-world business/management experience.

Poker will always be there. It's a lot more fun when you don't have to rely on it for income.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:57 PM

Don't quit your job. It adds structure to your life and gives you a chance to meet people. If you want to play poker until 4am and then go to work looking like a zombie and falling asleep at your desk, however,....welcome to the club.