Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 05:43 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: Daily Hand Post: interesting AK hand

i can understand not capping with MP2 stats, you know he is not 3 betting less than AKo or AKs. flop sets up beatiful and allows you to take the lead at the turn. i like it now especially that you have...oh my god, i just realized the button folded to your raise. you are HU with a Loose-passive type. he seems to play alot of hands though, and if he plays back you know you are likely beat, but if not you have a great chance to not even go to SD. nicely played thus far.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious to see what Jason says, but I probably agree. I would likely check-call. The only advantage I can think of, is that you can solidly put him on a likely overpair if he 3-bets. I'm not sure whether it's worth paying the 2 extra SB's to find that out though.

[/ QUOTE ]

My vote is an emphatic "No".

[/ QUOTE ]

A good link:

3-betting for information
Old 06-30-2005, 07:00 PM

I like this a lot. It really looks like utg+1 is drawing here. Now the question is which draw is he drawing too, is it the straight,or the flush. He has a very high ag factor for someone who plays nearly 2/3 of his hands. what is your plan if you get raised? If a club falls on the river it looks like a check/fold, and any decent card for us would be a great place to check/call. I like how this is looking so far jason

-keith
Old 06-30-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can understand not capping with MP2 stats, you know he is not 3 betting less than AKo or AKs. flop sets up beatiful and allows you to take the lead at the turn. i like it now especially that you have...oh my god, i just realized the button folded to your raise. you are HU with a Loose-passive type. he seems to play alot of hands though, and if he plays back you know you are likely beat, but if not you have a great chance to not even go to SD. nicely played thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

as a note, those are fairly aggressive stats for a guy who plays 2/3 of his hands. no passive player is raising PF as much as that, and a near 1 aggro stat is high considering how many of his hands that he plays
Old 06-30-2005, 08:14 PM

First, my opinion of the way Jason played this hand post flop is absolutely perfect.

I did initially have issues with his not capping preflop with AKo. This was before i knew MPs stats. However, even with him being a virtua-rock, i think a preflop cap is in order, for a couple of reasons.

1) Even considering what the rock is raising with, i think you have a very large equity edge with two other players in. Your hand plays fairly well considering the opposition, and im going to start building the pot now.

2) Jasons reasons for not capping consisted of being able to better protect your hand postflop. However, this is fallacious. He was initially planning on checkraising the flop agaisnt the rock to blow out some players. Not only do i now really see this happening since UTG has already called two cold, not to mention button calling 3, but these players also seem like the kind of players who are going to call down with any decent piece of the flop. To boot, you are going to be checkraising the one person who is *most likely* to have you beat, based on our pt reads. So you are not only hoping to kill what is most likely dead money in the pot, but you are hoping to do so against someone you know to be very tight, meaning they have a good hand and are unlikely to give you much action once they think they are beat. Not to mention that a checkraise on the flop rarely gets MP to fold a better hand. though you may occasionally get them to fold an unimproved AK.

It also seems that this supposition is based on playing an unimproved AK. However, i dont think you are making tons of money off of AK in this hand without improving. Assuming you dont improve on the flop, you still have odds to call in hopes of hitting on the turn, however, the chances that you want the other players to fold seems slim. Unless one of the players is holding A-rag, and pairs thier rag, and would fold to a checkraise, AND MP is playing something like QQ, you are probably better served by gaining the bets preflop, and leaving them drawing very thin for the rest of the hand.

As it turned out, jason was perfectly able to narrow the field so that his A high is facing a player against whom his hand is good. But again, what unfolded was such an unlikely scenario that to say he planned it preflop is a bit much. Moreover, when MP does check, its very likely that he is holding some hand that Jason has dominated, and missed collecting bets against preflop....

peace

john nickle
Old 06-30-2005, 08:26 PM

Congradulations to find new and exciting ways to lose money with ace high.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to make retarded comments, you should at least provide supporting arguments. You should also learn to spell "congratulations."
Old 06-30-2005, 09:19 PM

my line here is usually cap preflop, lead the flop and go from there
Old 06-30-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to make retarded comments, you should at least provide supporting arguments. You should also learn to spell "congratulations."

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't spell congratulations either (I copy & pasted it in) but I liked your line Jason, including pre-flop. nh...

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my line here is usually cap preflop, lead the flop and go from there

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a great flop to lead out on. Because it checked through to the Button who auto-bets, Jason's line is fantastic.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]