Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Winning online tournaments

[ QUOTE ]
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players is very good, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bought it. It has helped but not as much as I thought.

Thank you to all the folks who have welcomed me here. I look forward to sharing my experiences.

Any more advice related to playing in online tourneys welcome.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:52 PM

Tournament variance is so high sometimes it takes a while. Like you I have been playing at Stars for 3 years and have become a profitable player (haven't deposited a dime in 2 years). I really think it's very difficult to win a small buyin (ie 5 to 10 dollar tourny). There are so many players in them....sometimes well over 1000.

1. I think SNG's are a great place to start improving your game.
2. Keep playing tournies and figure out where your "sticking" points are. Are you gambling it up too much? Are you making it to the bubble and you're just watching the blinds climb without ever making any moves?
3. Watch good tourny players play.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I think SNG's are a great place to start improving your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to disagree here. SNG's are probably the most profitable way of playing poker, but if you want to actually improve your game, then play a lot of ring games. Good SNG players are not necessarily good poker players, due to the fast blind structure.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'll get flamed in this forum, but ring games and SNGs are where the steady money is made.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is entirely true. I play $30+3 MTTs and SNGs to relax a bit after a few intense 6max days, but I'm only like 10% ROI on SNGs and have only won 1 MTT and final table 3 others.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players is very good, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bought it. It has helped but not as much as I thought.

Thank you to all the folks who have welcomed me here. I look forward to sharing my experiences.

Any more advice related to playing in online tourneys welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Master the ring games first. The first half of a tournament is played pretty much like a NL ring game, but you have to be careful with situations that are only slightly ev+ if you don't have enough chips to keep playing if you lose (be CAREFUL with your stack and protect it). Of course, you also have to balance being very aggressive. Take advantage of the fish by winning huge pots off of them and against good players, position is EXTREMELY important. When you raise preflop from LP w/KQs and a blind calls you with AQo and the flop comes (J 8 7), the caller will almost always check to you, and he can't really justify calling a pot size bet. Likewise, if you play from EP, there isn't much you can do when you miss the flop and somebody who raised behind you fires a big bet on the flop, so always be aware of how important position is. Anyway, try to master ring games before expecting great results in tournaments.

Maybe stuff you already knew, and I could be off base anyway, but I'm just trying to help.

-kyle