Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: AQ-spades in the BB

[ QUOTE ]
allin on flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I like getting it in on the flop as well.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
allin on flop

[/ QUOTE ]

as played, don't you think all in is too big a bet to get called by worse hands? this is why i like leading the flop for more, hand plays itself...
Old 06-29-2005, 06:09 PM

I think CR is a nifty line and I like the rest of your analysis as well. My concern about the CR is that, in my experience, it usually scares customers away you would rather have in the hand. Also, I have no guarrantees of a bet from anyone.

- Jim
Old 06-29-2005, 06:11 PM

I really don't understand why there are a good number of all-in advocates here. Other than straight draws, who am I pushing out that I want out? How much value am I getting from lesser hands that would call, the times they would call? How much am I giving up to players who have me crushed and beat me into the pot with their chips?

- Jim
Old 06-29-2005, 06:42 PM

You bet small and hope to get reraised by 2pair or a straight draw. Then you push. This isn't a flawless line, but you're only behind 3 hands at this point.

Edit: I think the reason you want to push here is because you are behind 2 pair and a made straight draw on the turn. Get all your money in now, when you are ahead of those hands. <font color="yellow"> </font>
Old 06-29-2005, 07:38 PM

I like popping it to 100-125. You're pretty much committing yourself no matter what card drops on the turn, but you will likely keep people around that you want to be in the hand.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like popping it to 100-125. You're pretty much committing yourself no matter what card drops on the turn, but you will likely keep people around that you want to be in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think thats awful. I really dont agree with people advising to put half their stack in with a big draw on flop, then put the rest in if turn bricks.
Move in on flop, even tho its an overbet, because :-
A) Fold equity :- You get a lotta hands such as 2pair to muck, which is good. If you put in half your stack in on flop, and rest on turn, the pot is big enough for 2 pair to call there.
B) You have a much better shot at making your hand if you move in on flop, that way you see 2 cards without having to make a nasty decision on turn
C) You are not worried whether your hand is good if the turn is an A, you're getting to showdown no matter what.
In some posts in the past few days, checking behind with a big draw has also been suggested , which i think is quite smart if you have an aggressive image. OOP, I dont like checking and calling with a FD, especially in this case where I have TPTK and nut flush draw.
So even though moving in is an overbet , Thats the only option. Thats why i dont like the weak lead, if you lead for pot here , an allin is not an overbet.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:11 AM

Three main reasons for the all-in bet. You have a hand that has significant pot equity against all hands except aa qq 77 66. If a blank falls on the turn your pot equity drops considerably and you will be forced to fold to an all-in bet by an opponent. Getting in on the flop assures that you have an advantageous betting situation.

Second reason is table image if this gets showed down and you suck out on a set. Your table image changes drastically. This allows you to move all-in on the flop with your sets and two pairs and have a signficant chance of being called by weak hands. Your opponents know that they are a small favorite most of the time so they call the bet, but they are a significant dog enough of the time to make calling negative expected value for them. Think about averaging your five pot equities using this strategy say (.45, .5, .45, .9, .9). The average is .64.

Final reason is you will take down the pot alot of the time without a fight and the money you win will have a 100% expected value. I like money that my opponent isn't going to win a percentage of.

Counterintuitive but being willing to gamble in these coin flip situations brings auxilary benefits that outway the increase in variance.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 AM

Two pair is not folding here. I don't believe my folding equity is worth measuring in this hand. A push from me would almost never be a set of Qs and I think this is easy to see for most any player.

I also think moving in with this scenario shows a lack of discipline. If I trust my feel that the first player could be raising me with a wide range of hands because he knows I'm capable of bluffing and if I trust my feel that the second player has a strong hand - why wouldn't I want to see the turn and see how the action develops? Pushing will almost definitely get the hand I want involved to fold and the hand I think I don't want involved to call. I also have a monster draw and don't mind the multi-way action.

I think pushing here is a way of simplifying the decisions that need to be made down the line, but I don't think it's the optimum strategy.

- Jim
Old 06-30-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A push from me would almost never be a set of Qs....

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not? That is the whole point of playing draws fast since you are playing big made hands the same way.