Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: 99 in SB against BB TAG HU

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Same to you. I'm not saying there's no merit to a cap PF, but it certainly won't prevent your opponent from bluffing you.

This is such an opponent dependent situation, but very very frequently in blind steal situations where you have a pair, you need to be prepared to meet your opponent at the river.

(by the way, I think a cap is good here PF, but for value. You have way the best of it with 99 against his probable 3betting range)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's not for value, because I think it probably is. I think a really important topic here is initiative in the hand. Villain tried to put the burden of hitting the flop on us, the cap and lead puts it back on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Capping preflop with the notion of 99 being the best hand at the time seems logical. But in doing so, it would also build the pot enough to make almost any call to a drawing hand correct on his part. Then let's take into account the the odds of him hitting the KJ flop, with the additional overcards to come on later streets which could also cripple me.

SSHE has a section on Small vs. Large Pots. With only 6SB's in the pot would this qualify as a time for not spewing chips for a small pot? I understand the need to raise/CR to buy outs and to get weaker hands like bottom pair and weak draws to fold in the larger pots far better than I do small pots and playing against aggro blind defenders.

If this built into a huge "pissing contest" I could very well be drawing to a 2 outer, correct?

In reality, most of my blind steals up until this point have been fairly standard. This is my first SA against a stubborn TAG.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:26 PM

I can piss really, really far. I was an all county pisser in 98.

Anyway...overcards for him are going to need to hit the flop, and they'll only do so about 1 in 3 times. You don't need to hit the flop. This, along with the fact that you keep your foot on his neck, I think makes up for the fact that the pot will be larger.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was an all county pisser in 98.

[/ QUOTE ]

Busted 2 bladders for a death.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check/calling is the worst play on the flop. IMO. He could be re-stealing w/any A and his 3-bet took control of the hand. Since you didn't cap pre-flop, retake the initiative by leading or check/raising the flop. I personally like leading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took you advice on a similar hand with 88. Folded to me and I raise first in and get 3 bet. Wasn't sure how it'd turn out but I made the play. Tnx for the push.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 06-29-2005, 02:30 PM

I like this hand a lot.

What do you do on the turn if it's an over?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:35 PM

This hand is a bit different than the OPs hand since you're not really in a blind steal position and it's a lot more likely SB is 3-betting with a real hand. I do like your play though in jumping on the SB the minute he showed weakness.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is a bit different than the OPs hand since you're not really in a blind steal position and it's a lot more likely SB is 3-betting with a real hand. I do like your play though in jumping on the SB the minute he showed weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...however, the only reason this guy didn't lead the flop is probably because hero capped PF, and I'm not sure I like that in this situation; however, we have no read on villain and that sucks here.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this hand a lot.

What do you do on the turn if it's an over?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet and most likely fold to a CR would be my guess. I was hoping I wouldn't keep getting called down only to see some Kx garbage at the river. I think table image has a lot to do with this particular hand.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...however, the only reason this guy didn't lead the flop is probably because hero capped PF, and I'm not sure I like that in this situation; however, we have no read on villain and that sucks here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain was ABC over 40-50 hands. I realize it isn't the same as a blind steal/defense hand but it was similar in a way as it was a medium pocket pair which ended HU preflop.

Normally I would have called the raise and folded to a flop bet if I didn't hit a set or some type of draw. This time I played back and bet like I had a hand and wasn't skeered of the K (AA/KK/AK).

Not sure if I like the preflop and it won't be my normal line either. Just going aggro in a HU sitch to see what would happen. Like I said above, this one just worked out.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have capped pre-flop here either actually. But, since hero did, I think he has to bet when checked to on the flop.