Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Bloody Arseholes

This f-bomb rule was maybe the only instruction the dealer gave us before the tourney started.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: WSOP F-Bomb Rule

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this rule is absolutely ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. I really don't have any sympathy for someone with such a lack of self-control that they can't avoid being penalized though.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, the problem isn't the "F-word," it's the auto penalty associated with it, whereas there's no auto penalty for other "non-dirty words" used in berating someone, whether it be dealer or another player. If someone launches a quick 10 second tirade about the dealer's mother, but avoids using the F-word, chances are that he won't be penalized.

But if a player uses the F-word in an unantagonizing way, like "I'm so F-ing stupid," he'll get the penalty automatically.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:39 PM

As far as I'm concerned disallowing profanity is one of the most ridiculous decisions ever made. There are endless reasons for this, but I'll just discuss a couple.

1. It makes for GREAT television. ESPN loves to bleep out all of the obscenity.

2. It's natural. When you play poker people swear. Get over it. Nobody cares. When you go to a movie do you expect all of the expletives to be bleeped out?

3. It's arbitrary. It's not uniformily enforced. There is a way around this, though. Treat it the same way you would treat a string bet. In other words, it's none of the dealers goddamn business. The dealer can't call a string bet and he can't call someone out for swearing--the other players have to do it.

5. What about c.ocksucker? Is that allowed? Or is it just f.uck that gets a penalty?

Get rid of this rule and all rules like it. Trying to put a pretty face on poker is like putting makeup on a pig.

What a hypocritical nightmare.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:46 PM

It depends on the dealer and the players. Certainly any player can call another player on it and if any other player or the dealer heard it then it's a 10 minute penalty. At friendly tables when someone says the f-bomb nobody seems to care. When things get more serious, or if you have a 'by-the-book' dealer it absolutely is enforced.

The no cell phone rule is enforced 100% of the time. If you use your cell phone at any time during a hand, then the hand is automatically dead. No questions asked.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:52 PM

These are adults, not children. I don't know how you people can justify penalizing someone for saying a word!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Hahah... this is kinda funny.

So, in theory, when a guy puts a beat on you, you can scream across the table, "I will rape your mother's skull!" and not be penalized.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:54 PM

So if we all just sat there screaming "F'ck! F'ck! F'ck!! F'ck!" over and over and over you would think this should be okay?

It's a 10-minute penalty for crying out loud (which isn't that much really).
This is the biggest poker event in the world.

These are grown-ups and I find no reason why they shouldn't be able to act like grown-ups.
Honestly, how hard is it to keep from saying a simple word?
Why is it so terrible to expect the players to follow a realistic set of guidelines?

Why do people think this is such a bad rule? Can you guys really not control yourself from dropping f-bomb's everytime a flush-draw hits?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if we all just sat there screaming "F'ck! F'ck! F'ck!! F'ck!" over and over and over you would think this should be okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that would obviously be intentional abuse. We are all talking about someone getting penalized for 1 F-bomb.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a 10-minute penalty for crying out loud (which isn't that much really).
This is the biggest poker event in the world.

These are grown-ups and I find no reason why they shouldn't be able to act like grown-ups.
Honestly, how hard is it to keep from saying a simple word?
Why is it so terrible to expect the players to follow a realistic set of guidelines?

Why do people think this is such a bad rule? Can you guys really not control yourself from dropping f-bomb's everytime a flush-draw hits?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the rule because I think that the winner should be decided on the poker table, not because of a technicality. It is not that hard to let an f-bomb slip in the heat of the moment when you have been sitting at a table for 12 hours and millions of dollars are on the line. Early in the tournament 10 minutes don't mean much, but once the stacks get short, it can make a big difference.

The fact that everyone is an adult is a reason why the rule is stupid. Everyone knows the word and has heard it a thousand times before. And the broadcats is taped, so it is easy to bleep out any profanities.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:54 PM

i would say that if you lack the self control to stop you from droping the F-bomb then maybe you shouldn't be playing poker.

peace
billyb
6 more days
Old 06-29-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hahah... this is kinda funny.

So, in theory, when a guy puts a beat on you, you can scream across the table, "I will rape your mother's skull!" and not be penalized.

[/ QUOTE ]

By far the funniest thing I have read all day!

And that rules really d*arn Gay. I mean What the d*arn. Whats so wrong With a d*arn word. They cant air there little d*arn program. They should just Shut the d*arn up with dumb d*arn rules like this I mean when did a word start d*arn hurting people.

Once I am eliminated I will parade up and down the tables screening the word at the top of my lungs, till I am throw down and lead out by security. I D*ARN HATE CENSORESHIP, it just call more attention to such a word.