Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: AA on 25NL

Re-raise preflop as SOP since you're OOP. If the guy is very aggressive and you want to trap him by check/raising the flop, then you must raise more. You gave him proper implied odds to call.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a contrasting hand at NL 25:

Hero is UTG, $41.30. A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: Hero raises to $41.30 (all-in), 6 folds, Button calls $25 (all-in), 2 folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say I agree with an All-in preflop. Unless you were sure you had a read on the guy who called, and were sure he would be throwing his money away. Otherwise, you're just giving everyone great incentive to fold. This way you'll win a rediculously tiny pot with your aces most of the time, and at higher limits, almost every time. Seems like raising a good amount (5xBB) is a better way to make money in the long term, especially when you move up the limits.

Perhaps this is a variation in your play, where you go All-in every 1 in 100 times with Aces. Even so, it seems not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree with the play too - but i think the poster was just illustrating how often $25NL players will call an all-in, even with absolutely nothing
Old 06-28-2005, 02:33 PM

checkraise is a generally awful way to protect your hand unless you make it huge. People tend to call these, especially when they are small...you practically begged him to call with that min sized checkraise. You should have raised it to 15 or so.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise pf ~3x his raise. That should be the end of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i third that
Old 06-28-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the poster was just illustrating how often $25NL players will call an all-in, even with absolutely nothing

[/ QUOTE ]
In tougher games, you might worry that a reraise will scare people away, but not at NL 25. So, there was very little reason not to reraise preflop. Reraising all-in would be too much, but a reraise to 3-4 times the initial raise is much better than just calling.

As for the open-push, it's not my standard play, but it gets called surprisingly frequently.