Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: I watched WWE RAW tonight.

[ QUOTE ]
THe X division is extremely strong and you will see guys that are really busting their ass for the most part

[/ QUOTE ]

When my brothers and I watched WWF in the 70's and early 80's, we didn't want to see guys "really busting their ass". We just wanted to watch the masters work the microphone. What they DID was mildly entertaining; what they SAID was the reason we watched.

Larry Zybysko, Fred Blassie, Roddy Piper, Jesse Ventura, Bobby Heenan, Gorilla Monsoon...has there been anyone in the last 20 years whom you would dare to mention in the same breath as these greats?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:06 AM

In terms of putting on a show, you have to put Mick Foley, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, and Kurt Angle somewhere on that list. I don't keep up with wrestling anymore, but those guys were great.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:36 AM

I watch WWE. Does that make me a bad person?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:37 AM

I watched it last night for the first time in probably 2 years. Funny how the show still seems exactly the same. The 20-minute segment with the chicks and King Mabel was brutal.

The Flair/Angle match was good although I can do without Flair audibly calling out the moves. But he's old so I forgive him.

It was hilarious to see Hogan come out. It's amazing that he's had the same offensive set for his entire career (punch, punch, punch, clothesline, double noggin knocker, big boot, LEGDROP OF DOOM). Everything else was forgettable.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:56 AM

the reason it sucked tonight was b/c the pay per view (vengeance) event with all the good matches was the night before and you can't have guys (even though fake) bloodied and battered one night and then the very next day fight, so there werent any good fights. but it turned out good seeing three generations in one ring at the end with cena (he sucks ass btw), heartbreak kid, and hogan.

the monday after the big pay per view events are always the worse nights to watch.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 AM

I have started to give it another chance, and it' hasn't been horrendus. The 20 min diva search was though.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:56 AM

What are you talking about? Raw is definitely cool, especially now that it is where you will find Carlito. Did you see what Carlito did to that stoner gimp last night? Even gave him some apple pieces to cure his munchies. That was cool.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:24 AM

When I was younger I watched RAW when it was in its prime (beating MNF ABC raitings). It was also when it was probably the best time to watch. HHH was still an undercard, Stone Cold vs Rock feud, Mankind vs Rock feud, Shane vs. Vince McMahon was classic, oh yeah and there was Degeneration X. That was like around 1999.

Well I stopped watching a few years ago, and after they changed the name to WWE (how silly to lose the WWF name from the world wildlife fund)

Plus the writing, if you actually can believe it, was a lot better in the prime era I just described.

Someone post some pics of Stephanie McMahon. I haven't seen her lately, she still pudgy, or did she get any better looking?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:28 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

I started watching again in January after a two year hiatus. I enjoy it. It's no 1998, but it's entertaining enough.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know that I've ever met a person who was into pro wrestling, but they have to exist, right? Who are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing with wrestling is that you really have to understand the way it works in order to appreciate it.

Nobody who watches wrestling thinks of it as a sport. It's theater with blood and violence. The stuff that's impressive is how well people sell the moves, or give a promo and it really takes some time to learn how to watch.

I never understood what people saw it in until my best friend really helped me understand why he enjoyed it.

I stopped watching, because it's been pretty horrible in both WWE and NWA:TNA. As my interest wained, I stopped hunting down the good indie stuff as well. I caught a little last night, and the Angle/Flair match was OK, good at first but dragged on a little and got dragged down by the fact that Flair can only take one kind of bump.