Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Fights that didn\'t happen that should of.

i wanna see Kostya fight pretty boy floyd...Dats the only real fight that would do it for me.

Indy
Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 PM

Roberto Duran/Aaron Pryor

By the way, the Roberto Duran "Official" website has his career as 1967-Present [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 12:19 PM

Meldrick Taylor - Pernell Whitaker
Old 06-28-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Watching Mike Tyson duck Riddick Bowe for years was sickening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. Bowe was never really very good imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why did Tyson duck him? He was the only guy Tyson ducked.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then why did Tyson duck him? He was the only guy Tyson ducked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowe didn't even fight professionally until 1989. Tyson lost to Douglas in 1990. And I'd challenge you to recognize a single name amongst the fighters Bowe had fought up until then. I don't think it was a case of "ducking" him. I don't think Bowe was ready, and Tyson was gone by the time he was. I think Tyson/Holyfield was the fight everyone really wanted to see.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:23 AM

Tyson didn't duck Bowe, it was Lennox Lewis that Tyson wanted no part of. His people paid Lewis 5 million dollars once because Tyson (or his handlers) didn't want to give him his mandatory shot as #1 WBC contender. Riddick Bowe threw his belt away rather than fight Lewis.
Honestly, the Lewis-Tyson fight is the one I would have liked to see, because it would have established Lewis' dominance a lot faster once he handed the little bully his hat. I've never really blamed Tyson, I think his people didn't want Tyson fighting Lewis, rather have him fight easier fights where he could knock guys out in 90 seconds.

edit: also, Ali vs. pretty much anyone for the three years he spent in "exile" from the sport. It's one of the greatest crimes in boxing history that this man had three years of his prime taken from him.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tyson didn't duck Bowe, it was Lennox Lewis that Tyson wanted no part of. His people paid Lewis 5 million dollars once because Tyson (or his handlers) didn't want to give him his mandatory shot as #1 WBC contender. Riddick Bowe threw his belt away rather than fight Lewis.
Honestly, the Lewis-Tyson fight is the one I would have liked to see, because it would have established Lewis' dominance a lot faster once he handed the little bully his hat. I've never really blamed Tyson, I think his people didn't want Tyson fighting Lewis, rather have him fight easier fights where he could knock guys out in 90 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree. Did you see Lewis' early fights? He looked terrible. He was really wild, and nowere near ready. Like Bowe, he hadn't been fighting as a pro for more than a year before Tyson lost to Douglas. I think either of them was a year away from giving Tyson a good fight if Tyson hadn't completely lost it mentally. He may have been the #1 contender, but it was a weight division filled with bums. As i recall, paying Lewis had to do with scheduling. He either already had another fight scheduled, or was trying to fight someone else next that was a bigger payday.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Watching Mike Tyson duck Riddick Bowe for years was sickening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. Bowe was never really very good imo. It's too bad we didn't see Tyson/Holyfield earlier though. I think Holyfield was smart not to fight Tyson before he was ready though. And of course by the time he was, Tyson was already beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the story right...The fight was set and ready to go, but TYSON pulled out cause of an "injury"..then he went to prison.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get the story right...The fight was set and ready to go, but TYSON pulled out cause of an "injury"..then he went to prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

When are you talking about? I'm talking about when Tyson was still champ. There was talk of a fight after Douglas, but Tyson lost. If you're talking about after the Douglas loss, then you might be right but anything after that doesn't really matter. He didn't go to jail until 1992, and he was way past it by then.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Jones would have smoked Trinidad in both of their primes. Trinidad had problems when he couldn't get off his big punches.

I would have loved to see Jones Hopkins 2. I think Jones was smart to avoid it though. At that point Hopkins was a far better fighter and Jones had started his decline.

I wonder if Jones was as great of a fighter as he seemed to be. I never really saw him even be tested until his last few fights. Of course that may be because he was so dominant that there was just no one in his class. (I'm sure this would be his answer).