Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 10:26 AM

Default The True best poker Game of All Time

The game of choice in my family poker games is called Challenge. This is by far the best live poker game imaginable. Here are the Rules:

Everybody antes.

2 cards are dealt face down to each player. Starting from the dealer you have the option to slide your cards into the middle for a challenge to see who has the lowest 2 card hand. If you are challenged by one or more people you exchange cards and the loser pays the winner the amount of the pot. If noone challenges you have gone one time unchallenged and if you do it again in this hand you will win the actual pot.

One more card is dealt to each player and again you have the option to go in the middle with the best high hand this time. As before cards are exchanged and losers pay winners the amount of the pot.

Two more cards to everybody and another round for low hand.

Finally 2 more cards are dealt for a total of 7. This round is for best 5 card high hand.

If noone has gone twice unchallenged the pot remains and everybody antes again increasing the size of the pot. The great part about this is that the pot can get HUGE. I promis you that this game will test every one of your poker skills.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Double Flop Hold Em and Crazy Fox

[ QUOTE ]
the most popular game at my home game right now is........

double flop Omaha high/low with a declaration at the end declare

lots of action and the declare adds a whole rock/paper/scissors psych-out aspect

cheers,
the Real Macoy

[/ QUOTE ]

Should this question be posted in the beginners forum...

but what does a declare mean and how does it add to the game?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:43 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
Sorry, DFCFHL...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't wait 'til the release of DFCFHLFAP.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds pretty sick and twisted... but i would take out the need to declare and make it pot limit.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds pretty sick and twisted... but i would take out the need to declare and make it pot limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

And at least six-card Omaha. Maybe eight.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the most popular game at my home game right now is........

lots of action and the declare adds a whole rock/paper/scissors psych-out aspect

cheers,
the Real Macoy

[/ QUOTE ]

Should this question be posted in the beginners forum...

but what does a declare mean and how does it add to the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

generally most games are played as "cards speak". this means that when the cards are turned over the best hand wins.

in a declaration game you have to declare what pot you are going for: high, low, or both.

there are many variations using declare but most often the declaration happens simutaneously after all the betting is finished and before the cards are turned over. sometimes people play an added round of betting after the declare, although i am not partial to this variant as it can make for some ungainly situations.

also you have to determine the rules around the declaration, particularly when someone declares they are going for high and low (also called going pig). in my game we play that if you call pig you have to WIN on both sides. this means you cannot tie on either side otherwise you lose both pots. there are many other rules you can incorporate around going pig but i find they tend to make for some very complex situations.

as far as how this adds to the game let me give you a few common examples. lets say you had a nut flush draw that didn;t get there on the river. in a declare game you always have the chance of picking up half the pot (either the high or the low) regardless of the strength of your hand (particularly against one or two others on the river.

....for the actual declaration we do the following: everyone picks up two chips and puts there hands under the table. then everyone brings up one hand and holds it out above the tabl. for low you will have no chip in your hand, for high you have one chip and for pig you have two chips.

then on the count of three everyone opens their hands. if you are the only one to pick high then you win, regardless of your hand. if everyone goes one direction then the pot is not split......

i have picked up many pots by getting a read on which way the strongest hand(s) at the table were going (based on their action and the two flops) then betting and knocking out the weaker hands. finally at the end simply being the only one to declare a certain direction.

this whole declare psyche out fest can backfire as well....
i missed all my draws on one hand and put my strong betting LPP opponent on a low. although i had a reasonably good low i figured he must have the allmighty nut and went high. turns out he had flopped a weird middlling andd pretty concealed straight (the high end of the only one on the boards with no flushes or pairs....very rare) and i would have won low easily. he pulled in the whole pot even though i had the best low.

if you are going to play double flop high/low omahaa i would definately recommend using a declaration otherwise it gets too predicable without the qualifier (even if you use one there is usually a qualified low on one side)...... or play single flop Omaha/8.

cheers,
the Real Macoy