Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 04:30 PM

Default DIPO in a nutshell

DIPO is an acronym for "Do I have Pot Odds?" Just an easy acronym affixed to a method to calculate pot odds while at the table. The information needed are:

Expected Pot Size on the next round (EPS)
Expected Outs
Non-Outs (unknown cards - outs)

Compare two numbers:
The Good Number: EPS x Outs
The Bad Number: non-outs

If the Good Number is greater than the Bad Number, then you have pot odds to call. If the Good Number is less, then you do not have pot odds to call.

An simple example I use in the book is:

Your hand: ATo
Board by the Turn: K-Q-4-3 rainbow

Expected Pot Size = 12 (I give details on what happened in previous streets and what the player is expecting to happen on the River to come up with this number.)

Outs = 4 (in this hand, I assumed an Ace is not an out due to the action on the Flop and Turn).

Non-Outs = 46 - 4 = 42 (46 unknown cards on the Turn)

Good Number = 12 x 4 = 48
Bad Number = 46 - 4 = 42

The Good Number is greater than the Bad Number, so you do have pot odds to call a bet on the Turn.

Obviously this is a simple example, and there are many other possible factors in other hands.

Some people seem to like this method, while others don't. Some like it, but with a slight variant (such as the one that Abdul Jalib wrote about in one of his essays). I like it and use it at the table myself. I also think its a good way to show what to think about, because it forces the player to think about outs throughout the hand. But at the same time, I can understand that other methods may be better for other people as it has been pointed out to me.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Even DIPO seems like more math than necessary...King?

It will probably be a while. The second printing should be in a week or two, but those are only minor changes/corrections. When the inventory on the second printing start to dwindle down, I'll talk it over with my publisher at that time about a 2nd edition versus a third printing.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: DIPO in a nutshell

Good stuff. Thanks.