Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Loosening Up?

This looks horrible.

In a limped pot, the early position villain overbet on the flop, and you called with a weak hand without closing the action. Fold! He wasn't trying to bully you heads-up. He was betting into 4 people. You will rarely have the best hand, and you aren't getting the odds to draw. That you think he wants to take the pot down doesn't mean you should call regardless of your cards. It may mean he has a good but vulnerable hand, like bottom two pair or TT.

On the turn, you aren't getting the SB to fold for his last $0.45, and you greatly regret betting if UTG+2 calls or check-raises. I would check behind. The villain should have check-raised all-in.

Good catch on the river. You had 9 outs, but you can't know that. Would you have called or bet if the river had been a king or jack that counterfeited the villain's 2-pair? It would leave you behind top pair on the flop and the flopped double-gutshot JT. You had some implied odds, but you put in too much money on the flop and turn for the implied odds to justify your play.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He was scared to bet with an overcard on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]
He didn't bet. He called an overbet, not last to act. This would go into my notes.

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that not every overcard will hit someone, as was the case in the hand he posted.

[/ QUOTE ]
The bettor didn't have a king, but he had a stronger hand than top pair. The bettor had 2 pair.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:01 PM

Yeah, I realize you were right, what I never took the time to think about were the 5 people playing. I remember reading on HOH that at most, players will bluff with 2 or less people. So for him to try with 4 players is almost impossible for him not to have something good.

My thinking was to play the flop and see what he does on the river (I was ready to lay down the hand If he had made a stong bet).

I agree his check is what caused him to lose!