Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: A frustrating end to my poker career

there is no excuse for playing losing poker if you have the slightest talent for the game

once you can beat the 1c/2c tables or $1 SnG's it's then just a question of bankroll management so the swings don't wipe you out
Old 06-23-2005, 06:21 PM

I'm currently running at about 20k hands of breakeven poker. Every time I play, I recognize how terrible the other players are, but I just can't capitalize. Where I would used to get action on sets vs preflop raiser, I now take it down on the flop. When I semi-bluff my draw and hit, they fold the turn. When I miss, they call me down with second pair.

I like to think that I'm still playing well (I stop after about 1000 hands since I start to tilt way too much), but at this point, I can't really be sure. I've crushed every game up to and including 2/4, and now I've hit a wall at 3/6 and 5/10. Luckily I'm way overrolled (something like 50 buy-ins), so I don't have that to worry about, but it's still really tough.

I hope this means that bad streaks can last a very long time and not that I have forgotten how to play poker.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:23 PM

I wish bankroll managment had a chapter in POV, it must be one of the biggest killers of semi decent players out there (the players that aren't lp/lag).

It seems very deceptive, to need that much. Almost not worth it. I feel so stupid thinking i could rebuild by taking money i didn't have.

I kept either thinking that i must be doing something very wrong or the suckers are doing something right (sucking out- which btw has tremendous implied odds in many cases)

i'll probably be back to the tables as soon as i get my bum arse a job (after i build up a correct bankroll)

just in case i don't find another post with the info, could someone tell me what the correct bankroll is for the $100NL/PL tables. Does PL require less of a bankroll?

I can't play $25NL, for me to be able to out think my opponents i need my opponents to actually think. And it's bad enough at the $100 tables.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

just in case i don't find another post with the info, could someone tell me what the correct bankroll is for the $100NL/PL tables. Does PL require less of a bankroll?

I can't play $25NL, for me to be able to out think my opponents i need my opponents to actually think. And it's bad enough at the $100 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow....ok. The correct roll is 20x the buy in, or 2K for the 100 NL tables. Secondly, if you can't absolutely crush the $25 game, you have no business in the $100 game. The idiots that don't think are much easier to beat..you don't bluff, they call all your hands anyway, etc. The $100 players are harder to beat in general....if you can't beat the $25 game you are going to get killed at the $100 game.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:30 PM

the standard rule is 20 times the buy in.

I'll give a story. I didn't move up to the 100s until I had about 3 grand. after a recent bad run, I've moved down to the 50s to get my confidence back despite the fact that I'm adequately rolled for the 100s.

There are other players like sourbeaver who is probably adaquately rolled for the 200s but 8 table 25s.

you don't have to outthink opponents, just play tight and win money. You can save the outthinking for when you build up enough to play the 400s, 600s, etc...I suspect that you are going through that stage of poker where you think you are better than you are or you are just bluffing the unbluffable.

lastly, if you can't beat the 25s, then you probably shouldn't play any higher. I know its a grind but you have to put in the time.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:32 PM

the beauty of the 25NL tables is, you don't have to outthink anyone... just play your cards and over time you'll be a significant winner.

generally the advice is about 15 buy-ins minimum if you're a recreational player, and closer to 30 if you depend on poker for some of your expenses. So for 100NL/PL you're looking at about a $1500-$3000 bankroll.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:32 PM

You're playing NL right?

I'm not in the best position to be giving advice, obviously, but i will anyway.

Just make sure your attension is focused on the table, have notes on everyone, if you're multitabling.. stop. Play one table and study your enemy. Make sure you know how to play hands differently according to who's in the hand with you.

and just keep getting better, i have a feeling i need to read 'winning at small stakes' since there are many things you need to do in poker that are against your natural tendencies. Some concepts you just have to trust others that they work.

but one thing i do know, you shouldn't be breaking even.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 PM

Edge plays NL and plays much bigger stakes than the majority of the SSNL forum and has moved on from SSNL forum leaving old farts like me around.

He probably has 400k + hands under his belt I'm guessing?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 PM

as far as i can tell, i've beat the $50 tables, but i just don't know anymore. The problem i have with multitabling is you can't keep track of who it is you're in a hand with, whether fish or fellow grinder, whether you should respect his bet or come over the top.. etc.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:41 PM

what do you mean by beat the $50 tables?

beat by how much over how many hands?

you should be still able to make reads multitabling. Perhaps not as well on everyhand and every player but still able to make reads. Also, get pokertracker.

Finally, you would do well to post some hands.