Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Shocking....

To me the question is "Who cares if new groups assimilate or not?"

80 years ago it may have mattered, but as the population and economy has grown as well as become diverse it makes no difference. You can call me rascist if you want and I don't care, but speaking for myself it's ahrd to interact with asians, africans and middle east people. Their language and culture is vastly different. My contact with asians is seeing them at poker tables or buying take-out from them. It's not like I'm going to join a bowling league with them or the possibility that they would join the same service organizations as me...

The fact that they "choose" to stay seperate is fine with me. My attitude towards them is the same as theirs is towards us.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:22 AM

Default History Is Repeating Itself

How does the American public feel about having our companies being taken over by the Chinesse?
Yawn.....history is repeating itself.
Back in the 1980s, Japan was flush with money and they went on a buying spree in the USA buying US companies and famous buildings. And what happen? The USA sellers sold them these companies/buildings for HUGE profits and the Japanese took a HUGE BATH on these investments.

The winners were the Americans who sold these assets. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: History Is Repeating Itself

[ QUOTE ]
Back in the 1980s, Japan was flush with money and they went on a buying spree in the USA buying US companies and famous buildings. And what happen? The USA sellers sold them these companies/buildings for HUGE profits and the Japanese took a HUGE BATH on these investments.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a good comparision, nor is it really correct. For one, the underlying fundamentals of the Chinese economy are much different than the Japanese one during its ascendance. Second, Japanese investors did not necessarily take a bath on American properties. It was domestic properties in Japan that plummetted, causing many firms/individuals in Japan to be unable to repay loans, many of which were taken out for the purpose of purchasing foreign assets. In fact, buying real estate in New York or US equities during the late 80s probably looks pretty good in retrospect!
Old 06-23-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: History Is Repeating Itself

[ QUOTE ]
How does the American public feel about having our companies being taken over by the Chinesse?

The winners were the Americans who sold these assets. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Key differences ... China has 1 billion people, is a nuclear power, and is hardly an ally of the US. As a communist country, the line between private corporation and government influence is a blurry one.

As China industrializes, they will begin (and in fact, are beginning) to use a more proportional share of the Earth's natural resources (notably, oil).

What is the logical outcome when you have consistently decreasing supply and exponentially increasing demand for natural resources?

Competition. Something the US has had the luxury to live without and now has to deal with.

CNOOC buys Unocal but guarantees supply to the US. How long do you think this will last when competition escalates?

What will the US's reaction be when China decides that it's their turn to influence the Middle East? Think Jeb's gonna be ready to start a land war in China?

This trend is among the most important issues that we face today, and one that will influence what happens over the next generation. To compare it to Japanese corporations buying commercial real-estate in Manhattan is a bit short-sighted.

This is not a financial issue.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:31 AM

Default No anaesthetic

[ QUOTE ]
How does the American public feel about having [American] companies being taken over by Chinese?

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "American companies", please.

Established in America?
Majority of Americans in payroll?
Factories in America?
Doing business in America mostly?
Paying taxes in America?
American shareholders?
American managers?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: China taking over the world

The proposed purchases of Maytag and Unocal, neither one an industry leader, are hardly proof that China is taking over the world. Nevertheless, I think investments like these should be encouraged. US corporations have invested tens of billions in China building factories, establishing distribution networks, etc. Seeing some of that money come back across the Pacific is a welcome development.

There is another issue to consider. China is a rising power both economically and militarily. They will no doubt want to flex some of that muscle in the future. Many of their possible targets are nations that have their security either directly or indirectly guaranteed by the US - this could well lead to a day of reckoning in the Sino-US relationship. The saving grace on that day may be that each nation has a gigantic amount of money invested in the other and is loath to lose it.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the American public feel about having oil companies being taken over by the Chinesse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not thrilled since China needs mucho oil for their economic growth.

I'll let DarthIgnurnt elaborate...
Old 06-23-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't matter; trying to stop globalization is like trying to make water run uphill; it ain't gonna happen.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:17 PM

1) Explain to me the alternative to this.
2) Who should decide which companies can and can't be sold?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:11 AM

What I don't get is how we can be so in bed with the Chinese and still be boycotting Cuba. I know I know we don't have a choice with cina they're too big, we have to do buisiness with them. But if our reason for not doing any buisiness with Cuba is that they are an oppressive communist regime then shouldn't we at least be doing something about the empowerment of another oppressive communist regime.