Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Note to self: Take better notes

[ QUOTE ]
it's impossible to keep track of hundreds of players you encounter, which is why it would make sense to make the written notes

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. NYC, you play the 11s on UB, right? I don't even bother taking any notes on my opponents on the PP 11s since the pool of players is so large. Maybe it's small enough on UB that you actually see the same player once in a while?

Because of the ridiculously large # of players on PP 11s, the only notes I keep are on my own play...
Old 06-22-2005, 09:50 AM

I use a lot of notes. I almost always write a note when a player shows their hand: what blinds, position and stack sizes and what did he do, limp, raise 2-3BB or push. Unless the play is very standard, like limping pp's after several limpers or raising with AQ etc.

I write notes if a player limps or raises PF and then folds to raises. I also note when I see a player limping, then calling all-ins. I note if players limp big hands, and the situations where they do so. I write notes on players general passiveness/aggressivenes & looseness/tightness in the early, middle and late stages of the game.

I write notes on what hands they steal with and what hands they defend blinds with.

I play the 50+5's, and I think this is extremely useful, as I see a lot of the same players again and again.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:54 AM

My memory and concentration is so bad that I would write notes even if I knew that I would never see the players again. I 4 table and I can't remember all the essential plays made by the 40 or less players at my tables at the moment.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:57 AM

I recently started adding notes. It has made a huge improvement so far on who I can push around and who to stay away from, who is loose vs tight, how do the bet and what does it mean (min bet/raise... standard... push), how they bet if they miss their hand vs if they make it, premium hands or any Qx-Ax...
Old 06-22-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My memory and concentration is so bad that I would write notes even if I knew that I would never see the players again. I 4 table and I can't remember all the essential plays made by the 40 or less players at my tables at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have trouble w/ 10 people... but I am now taking good notes!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:18 AM

If we're talking specifically of SNGs, then I like to note when someone has seen me make aggressive plays on the bubble. Kind of a I-know-that-he-knows type of note. "Knows I can push with any two in LP on bubble" so I know that he will defend much more liberally against me at this stage.

I used to write notes like "fish" and "limps any suited" and the like for the bad players, but they turn over so much that you usually don't see the same player more than a few times in a span of days. So I don't bother with them anymore and concentrate on the better regulars.

A simple "2+2er" or "SNGer" is good to signify any regular here or imply by their play that they are knowledgable and good practitioners of all the SNG theory discussed here.