Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: 15/30 JTs in a mixed field

[ QUOTE ]
If you knew SB and UTG would call and check to you on the river, your play would be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am absolutely expecting SB and UTG to call and check to me. SB I am very sure will do that, since he's not a 3-bet-it twice kind of player unless he has the complete nuts, and even then he might not.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think UTG is a real threat here ... I'd rather keep him around to pay off on the river with his AJ or scared QQ or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG has gone to sleep, so I'm not too worried about him unless something scary hits.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:34 PM

UTG probably has TT, KQ, or AK
Sb could have a J, two pair, or OESD. I don't think he would go 3 bets with J-bad kiker.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty close to my read on UTG. I don't think he would play overpair in this way.

[ QUOTE ]
Sb could have a J, two pair, or OESD. I don't think he would go 3 bets with J-bad kiker.

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ or two-pair or better seems right to me for SB. He's not the kind of player to check-3-bet a draw or a weak kicker.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty close to my read on UTG. I don't think he would play overpair in this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not really understand this. My read is that UTG probably has an overpair and is in call-down mode (hoping to pair the board low to beat J9 which feels like a probable SB holding). He bet out the flop and got a check-3bet back from a passive player. You think he would 4bet an overpair in this position? Or call two bets with just overcards?

This of course depends on the player reads, but you did specify SB passive post-flop and UTG tight.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:50 PM

My read on UTG is that he's raising or folding an overpair at some point after the flop. He hasn't done either. The He would bet many hands after being checked to on the flop, but he went into hibernation after a little aggression. I read that he doesn't have a hand to show down and is drawing.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:09 PM

probably a call would of been better considering your read on the SB but I don't think the turn raise is that bad. But I think you should change your read on the UTG. I don't see him as tight if he is drawing with inside draw , he has to know his two overs are no good.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: 15/30 JTs in a mixed field: Results

Board: [9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Results:

SB has J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pair, jacks and nines).
UTG has K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (one pair, sevens).
ResidentParanoid has J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pair, jacks and sevens).

Outcome: SB wins 16 BB.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:13 PM

thought the river 7 was the best card for you in this situation, if SB had J5 or 95. I think its clear raising the turn was a mistake unless your intention was to get a free showdown. However, you put in 2 bets either way and I think you realize you were behind, which you were. However, if you call the turn, you still have to call the river for the chance the board paired above one of his pair. either way its 2 bb after the flop.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:30 PM

If I miss on the river, the raise-the-turn-check-through the river costs me the same two BB as call-call. I raise the turn to get the extra bet in when I hit my flush or str8 on the river.

If the SB had a small 2 pair on the flop, like you mention, then the paired turn+river is also 3 outs for me.

Of course, a spade that doesn't boat-up SB is the best card for me on the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 06-22-2005, 10:33 AM

Default If I just call turn should I call river unimproved?

No one commented on whether just calling the turn and folding the river unimproved is a better line.

On the turn, here are my three options:

1. Raise the turn with option of checking through on river unimproved (cost 2BB).

2. Call the turn, with plan to call the river unimproved (cost 2BB).

3. Call the turn, with plan to fold the river umimproved (cost 1BB).

Which is best here? Do you see any other options?