Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: 13 BB sucks

Do you hate pushing? It would be awful to get stop and goed here as well or being pushed on. I suppose it'd be better if CO/SB/especially BB had smaller stacks.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:23 AM

You guys give the average 2+2er too much credit.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you hate pushing? It would be awful to get stop and goed here as well or being pushed on. I suppose it'd be better if CO/SB/especially BB had smaller stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've pushed here before, but with the new limit, it is now going to be an increasingly losing play unless you get lucky and pick up some monsters later that you *also* push with.

Just raise, may as well learn to play shallow but not crippling postflop stacks now while no one else knows how to, either.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 AM

So you raise 3x BB...

What happens when you miss and SB calls and fires into you? What happens when you miss and Button calls? <-- hardest spot

What happens when you hit when Button calls?
What happens if checked to you from a BB caller?

I know this is all situational, but mind telling me what to look for? What reads are good here? What kind of flops are you looking for?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:56 AM

Sometimes things will happen in poker that are really annoying, like raising and missing the flop and having someone else bet. Most of the time you will fold when this happens, but it's not going to happen all of the time. You can't avoid every unpleasant situation in poker, you just have to learn to deal with them. I know you aren't really saying what I'm implying, but I know that too many people are scared at every corner that someone might call them and then the flop decision will be too difficult. Sometimes you will raise, get called by the button and simply end up checking and folding. It may feel pathetic but sometimes it's the best thing to do, however it shouldn't happen that often.

Also it depends how you miss...texture of the flop. There are a lot of details....Personally I like to raise to 250-275 as opposed to 300, I almost always raise slightly less than 3x the BB because it makes hands slightly easier to play postflop for me, yet still seems to discourage action to the same degree and you lose less if someone comes over the top. Of course I raise this amount with all hands good/bad.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:00 AM

So, besides texture (#1 thing I picked up from HoH), what else is there, besides reads (and I doubt you can get great reads at the $10+1's?)?

How do you play the tough spots?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:01 AM

I dunno it really depends [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If it was so tough I couldn't sum it up in one sentence.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:07 AM

Ok, a more specific question.

You raise 3x BB, BB calls, and flop comes KJ6 rainbow.

BB checks to you? Bet or check?
BB bets standard 3/4 pot, you've got no reads? Raise, call, or fold?

Assume $33?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You raise 3x BB, BB calls, and flop comes KJ6 rainbow.
BB checks to you? Bet or check?

[/ QUOTE ]
easy bet

[ QUOTE ]
BB bets standard 3/4 pot, you've got no reads? Raise, call, or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very tricky situation. Although there are few flops that I would do this on, on this particular flop I might just call. If he leads out on the turn he's probably got me beat, if he checks on the turn I've probably got him beat.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:49 AM

Fortunately its extremely rare that someone calls preflop from the blinds at the $55s and then bets right out into the preflop raiser on that board.