Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: AK fold haunting me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What you're realling hoping for is Ax which you're still only about a 3-1 favorite over.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a good point. you should probably wait till you flop quads before putting any chips in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you NOT see my last sentence which says we're a favorite over his range of hands and I would call??????

My reference to being a 3-1 favorite against Ax was in the first half of my post about AK being a tough hand to call a huge all-in with. We all know it's better to push with it then to call with it. For me, it's an easy call (as my conclusion states) but that doesn't not make it a little tough to do. But doing well in MTTs means making those tough decisions when they are mathematically obvious to do.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:18 PM

your first post:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone would blame you for folding AK here

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I would be inclined to call

[/ QUOTE ]

and now

[ QUOTE ]
For me, it's an easy call

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't mean to get into a pissing match, i just was trying to say that your first post made the decision sound much tougher than it is.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:59 PM

Yeah, I blew it. But I did learn from it.

Thx for the comments everyone.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What you're realling hoping for is Ax which you're still only about a 3-1 favorite over.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a good point. you should probably wait till you flop quads before putting any chips in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir, lol.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not saying make it 8000 to go. what im saying is making it 2000 to go says something. Also, he has to call only 1200 into a pot of 3200. Raising to 3000 limits the hands he can push with and means he has to call 2200 to win 4200, totally different odds. 200 just seems like a weak bet to me. as does folding the AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll repeat what someone else already has said, so maybe you understand. Flaming a guy for raising to 2,000 with the blinds at 400-800 and telling him to make it more like 2,400 is just silly.

Both raises would be acceptable.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:17 PM

easy call for me.

i am not a good enough player to expect that i can outplay everyone. I take this shot hoping for a coin flip at worst and domination at best
Old 06-21-2005, 07:19 PM

I think you are reading too much into a 2.5xBB raise.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are reading too much into a 2.5xBB raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:21 PM

to say that this is just a coin flip is wrong.

you are raising on the button. your move looks VERY much like a steal. you will see a weaker ace or some complete junk here a lot. I think this is a fairly easy call (and I don't have to do any math.)
Old 06-21-2005, 07:28 PM

Hey, Lloyd. How's it going? You still in Vegas? I'm coming back on Thurs for the Fri and Sat tournaments.

I disagree with the fold. The villian is unlikely to have AA or AK. You clearly have the odds to call an underpair and you are often dominating an Ax or two undercards. Hey, what's wrong with getting 3-1 odds if he has the other player dominated? That's how to win poker tournaments... get in all-in situations where you have 3-1 odds.

The other issue is that the poster makes the point that he has a large stack and is fine if he folds. That's not true at all. He only has 12 or so BB's so will soon be faced with much more difficult situtations. Winning in tournaments is all about staying well ahead of the blinds. This is probably the best opportunity the hero will face to do so. If he folds and loses the next pot he gets involved with he will be severely short-stacked (e.g., he calls or makes a 3x BB raise, makes one bet or calls one bet and then must fold). Anyway, the point is that the hero is actually short-stacked right now and is not at all in the bullying position that Harrington is talking about so a call makes perfect sense.