Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: When do you checkraise?

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that people will often raise a flop bet with missed AK trying to reprsent an overpair,

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a play you see a lot? My experience is that a missed AK will fold or flat call a flop bet. I'll have to watch out for these "continuation raises".

I like the CR in this case. As kurto suggested, it seems to be the plan to win an extra continuation bet, and quickly end a hand in which you don't want to see more cards.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:38 AM

It's entirely situational, dependent on the make-up of your table. I usually only checkraise if I am first to act, and am confident someone will bet the flop. And usually only if I have two pair or trips. I like to do it on flops where flush or straight draws are out there, with ace or king high. Say I flop trip 9's in a 5 way hand, with a board of A-8-9, two hearts. First to act, I may check to find out who raises his ace, hopefully get a caller or two in between, and then throw out a pot sized+ check raise out there, and try to take it right there. If anyone calls, I am still a nice favorite, and the pot is getting larger.

Another example would be against a fish. This hand happened a few days ago. Table folded around to weak player on the button who limped. SB completed, and I in the BB checked. (1/2 blinds, so $6 pot) Flop comes 10 high with 2 diamonds. SB and I check, Button bets $2. SB folds, I call because I have middle pair (Button/fish has shown no poker aptitude so he could have anything). Turn brings a third diamond. I check, Button bets $2 making the pot $12. Here, I thought to myself, OK, he has top pair probably, I better fold. But, then I had a better idea, 3 diamonds on the board, let's represent the flush, because he surely doesn't have one. So I checkraised him, made it $10 to go, and he promptly folded his probably better hand.

It's all situational. There's no set parameters for when it's best. But once you start checkraising, you'll find more and more opportunities to do so when you sense weakness in an opponent, like the second example.

--aj
Old 06-20-2005, 01:40 AM

Default my philosphy on the check-raise

so many people have started playing poker that the check-raise has become almost "basic" strategy... even fish identify when they are being trapped with a check-raise

because of this, i feel the check-raise is one of the strongest forms of bluffing there is... it really makes alarm bells start ringing for he who is check-raised and they almost immediately expect the nuts

i very rarely use the check-raise with a strong hand... it scares people off the hand too much so i don't get my good hands paid off... i like to bet into the others at the table with strong hands (unless i have the deck crippled.. ie. flopping T33 with TT in the hole) because they EXPECT the person with the nuts to slowplay / check-raise

moral of the story: it's all about misdirection... play the man not the cards
Old 06-20-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a set of sixes with an A on the board, I would always bet into the raiser. If he has a hand that would call a CR, he will very likely raise your bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your line is 100% correct. This is the textbook way to break someone who overplays AA/KK/AK.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:06 AM

Well I was going to post this hand, but this thread seems more appropriate. I have no idea if it is a good line or not. Risky if the person being checked to doesn't bet. I was trying to look like missed overs.

NL100 6max

Hero is in SB with $126 and (JJ)

Two people limp and I raise to six.
Only BB calls and this leaves him with $60

Flop ($14) 4,2,10 rainbow
Hero checks, Villian bets $9. Hero CR to $25 villian calls.

Turn ($64) 8 more rainbow.
Hero bets $36 villian (allin) calls 35.95

River ($133.9) 3

Hero has JJ
Villian has Q,10 hearts. for a pair of tens. MHIG.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:18 AM

I will do this with overpairs against shortstacked players as well. I committ myself to the pot with a check/raise, and if they have me beat, they have me beat.

Nice hand.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a set of sixes with an A on the board,.....
This is the textbook way to break someone who overplays AA

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously the person with the set of sixes would not be overplaying his hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: my philosphy on the check-raise

[ QUOTE ]
i feel the check-raise is one of the strongest forms of bluffing there is... it really makes alarm bells start ringing for he who is check-raised and they almost immediately expect the nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. So far as you're talking about fish. There are too many players who, I'm guessing, take it as an afront to their ego or something, and call the checkraise when they have no business doing so.

I'm mostly playing $50 tables so... if you're playing higher tables, the fish might be slightly less fishy.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:27 AM

Your hand demonstrates what I meant a few minutes ago when I posted that fish still don't respect the checkraise.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With a set of sixes with an A on the board,.....
This is the textbook way to break someone who overplays AA

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously the person with the set of sixes would not be overplaying his hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter. If the sixes are behind AA, then the case six will come on the river. I mean, Party is rigged, right?