Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: So if Jeter is \"Mr. Clutch\"?

unless he is Yankee. then he was clearly being squeezed by the home plate ump.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're an idiot.

Do you know what Jeter's BA is with the bases loaded? I'll give you a hint, it's well over .300.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, thats all swell, but the epitome of clutch is when the bases are loaded and you bomb one over the fence.

If we wanna talk averages with Jeter we might as well discuss his blow job average. I'll give you a hint he probably gives out more than he takes. (especially to TV commentators.)
Old 06-19-2005, 01:24 AM

I hate the Yankees but like Jeter. As a matter of fact, he's probably the only players I do like on that team.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eh, thats all swell, but the epitome of clutch is when the bases are loaded and you bomb one over the fence.

[/ QUOTE ] stfu with your stupid use of the word clutch. It has no basis in any conversation regarding stats.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] stfu with your stupid use of the word clutch. It has no basis in any conversation regarding stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then on what basis is Jeter considered clutch? Tell me I seriously want to know....
Old 06-19-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then on what basis is Jeter considered clutch? Tell me I seriously want to know....

[/ QUOTE ]

His point is that "clutch" is undefinable in statistics. By my account, there are "clutch plays," but not "clutch players."

Look at it this way: if you played better when you were playing clutchly, then you have the ability to play that way all the time and therefore are slacking a majority of the time.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Though 'clutch players' exist, it is impossible, given the sample size, for any one player to be proven as such in his career.

The fact that people claim Jeter is 'clutch' is simple because they dont understand the mathematics behind the game.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Though 'clutch players' exist, it is impossible, given the sample size, for any one player to be proven as such in his career.

The fact that people claim Jeter is 'clutch' is simple because they dont understand the mathematics behind the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also no solid definition of what is and is not clutch.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also no solid definition of what is and is not clutch.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have to:

- Determine the league's true stats for all situations
- Determine the league's true stats for all situations defined as "pressure" situations
- Determine a players true stats for all situations
- Determine a players true stats for all "pressure" situations

Then, you could define a "clutch" player, as, say, the top 2-5% of players whose performance is least hindered/most helped by being in a pressure situation, VS THEIR OWN TRUE STATS, NOT the leagues.

But, of course, this has the hole:

I would still rather have fat albert up, than some no name who just happens to handle pressure well, because the deviation from their all situations stats isnt significant enough to overcome the difference in their all situations stats.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:20 PM

Joe Buck: Now, obviously, you're talking about one of the best (Jeter) leaders in the game today, somebody who is just a winner, and somebody who - when he came up in his rookie year in '96 - just had that look about him like he'd been here before. Jeter has been one of the most consistent players in the game over the past nine years.

Tim McCarver: At the risk of going ga-ga too much, I mean, this guy is thoroughly hip. He is about as hip, to use that young expression, as there is any player in the game. He's tough, he's rugged, he is a winner, he's a guy who makes the big plays, and he has four World Series titles to his credit.

JB: Clearly the two of us are thoroughly in love with Derek Jeter.

TM: Ah, c'mon! I knew, see, when I say 'at the risk of going ga-ga' I knew that you would point out that I was going ga-ga.

JB: Well I was over there too, I was in Ga-Ga Land, too. (With a broadcaster tone dripping with sarcasm.) He's a winner, he's a born leader, this is a live Yankeeography...

TM: (Laughs uncomfortably)

JB: ...24 home runs, this handsome, debonair, swashbuckling...

TM: Quit it!

JB: ...last guy to wear number 2 for the Yankees hit back in 1999. HE is Derek Jeter and HE is out. One away here in the third inning.

TM: Cut it out. (More forced laughter.)

JB: Somehow Glendon Rusch got him to ground out. And here's Womack. Ga-ga land is shut down for Tony Womack. The rides are closed.