Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Did Kozlowski get justice?

The problem is, EV(stealing from company) = p(getting caught) * EV(getting caught)+ p(not getting caught)*EV(not getting caught).

If EV(getting caught) = minimally worse than not stealing anything, we have a problem.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Did Kozlowski get justice?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone remember Michael Milken??He was given a minimal jail sentence (3 years??) at a "white collar resort prison" and a seven figure fine. Which he paid for with a check.

massive fines don't deter the criminals when they make more from the crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it was 9 figures ($200,000,000) and he also had to pay out twice as much lawsuits against him. I'm not stating that I disagree with you though. But in comparing the Milken case to the Koslowski case I think we have to evaluate each one on it's merits regarding what kind of plea bargains should be struck. I'm fairly certain that the Milken case was more iffy in getting a conviction (I realize that in the original trial the jury was hung in the Kozlowski case). I could be convinced otherwise on that though. Basically the threat of prosecuting his brother Lowell got Milken to cop to a plea if memory serves. Milken now is involved in charitable work and at least for him, his sentence appears to me to have accomplished what it was meant to accomplish.

I would think that lawsuits will be coming against Kozlowski and Swartz if not already filed.