Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If the flop is 5 handed or more?
About 25% 4 18.18%
About 50% 3 13.64%
Greater than 75% 6 27.27%
Less than 25% 9 40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: What do you think of 100xBB structure

Since this thread is bumped anyway I will ask another question. Why poker sites dont spread diffrent games ? 100xBB, 50xBB and ultimate nolimit poker for example ? (I can understand that the latter can be not good for keeping fishes alive).
Thoughts ?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:16 PM

Probably because they already spread so many different games at different buyin levels that it would lead to having many more variations but not much added in the way of extra tables producing extra rake.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:21 PM

The best structure would be 1xBB.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In TOP, it states that the size of the antes, in this case the blinds, in relation to the bet sizes, determines how tight or loose you must play.

[/ QUOTE ]

the ante spoken of in this part of TOP is completely unrelated to blinds. Read the chapter again. Antes are ussually put in every hand in addition to the blind. They are paid whether you see a flop or not, like when you get near the end of a big tourney.

There are no antes in most cash games so tight play is considerably the better choice in near any limit.

The one excemption was mentioned in TOP is where the initial amount to enter a hand is very small compared to the later rounds of betting (this would not apply to your theoretical 50xBB game).
Old 06-21-2005, 06:01 AM

Even less! I don't know how to play post flop!

Wish I was joking.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:00 AM

In NL poker you can bet any amount you want to. If the size of the ante changes, then you can change the amount that you bet to match it. Therefore, the ratio of the ante remains constant to the size of future bets. That's why all of the examples in TOP are talking about limit poker.

Secondly, having 50 times the size of the big blind is not a high ante game. Have you ever played in a tournament? When the average stack size is 20,000 and the blinds are 1000/2000 with a 200 ante, then you have a high ante game. You should move all in on the button for 20k chips with nearly any two cards because there's already 5k in the pot. That's an example of a high ante forcing loose play. Having 20k chips with 200/400 blinds and no ante is not a high ante game.

[ QUOTE ]
you will find a litany of complaints from weak-tights complaining that the 50xbb structure did not allow you to play "properly" and just degenerated into a lot of preflop and flop allins with luck determining a lot of the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm getting all of my chips in preflop for 50xBB, you can be damn sure that I'm making an absolute killing in the game. There's 1.5BB in dead money in the pot which is entirely negated by the rake, so you need to have the best starting hand more than half of the time if you want to win. While you're out there gambling it up, I can pay 1.5BB per round and wait for a chance to get 50BB in as a 70/30 favorite.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:16 AM

The problem with starting with a small stack in relation to the blinds is that it makes the game more dependant on luck. If you take it to the extreme (1bb), it's clearly a game of luck since you're forced all-in before the hole cards are even dealt.

Poker is about playing the odds. You play hands with +EV knowing that you'll lose some of them but come out ahead in the long run. With small stacks, there is no long run. One bad beat and you're down enough that you need to start looking for a place to go all-in.

I played a tourney several weeks ago that started with 40bb and advanced the blinds every 20 minutes. There is just no wiggle room for a run of bad cards or a bad beat. For a true test of poker skill, you need to start with enough chips to allow a player to work the odds.

My personal favorite for a STT is 200-300bb with fairly rapidly advancing blinds.

JMO (and I'm certainly no expert).
Old 06-21-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem with starting with a small stack in relation to the blinds is that it makes the game more dependant on luck. If you take it to the extreme (1bb), it's clearly a game of luck since you're forced all-in before the hole cards are even dealt

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think this game is easy to play. There is still plenty of room for good and bad plays here.

[ QUOTE ]

With small stacks, there is no long run

[/ QUOTE ]
You can always reload. We are not talking about ultimate nolimit where you sit with all the money you have.
Question in this post is about ring games, not tournaments. I dont think that smaller stacks increases luck factor in fact I believe the opposite is true. With very deep stacks there is small amounts of very big decisions. You need very long run to have enough of these big decision to evens out luck. With short stacks there is no such a problem as decisions are generally smaller (in xBB).
This is why nutpeddling works in deepstack game and doesnt work in small stacks game. Nutpeddler can lose large amount of small pots and then make big profit with his nuts (sets, str8 or whatever) with small stacks this profit would not be big enough to cover all small pots he lost.

Best wishes