Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: KK on AAJ board - how to play?

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't raise the flop. I would call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I understand where you are coming from. But I like it from a value aspect... and then (I hesitate to say this because everytime I do I get flamed) I like it from an information aspect.

On a board like this even the aggressive player is probably not going to go without the goods. Also the pot is big enough at this point, where if you really had an A, it would not be that unusual to get right down to business.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:32 PM

No, calling.

The thing with the turn is you have to call a check/raise and I think you're getting check/raised pretty often. The thing on the flop is you're WA/WB and it's a rarity that the action after the raise goes call,call. I think this line worked out OK in this particular hand and seeing all of the action and hero win without a showdown is influencing some responses.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I did raise the flop I would check the turn through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the chance of getting checkraised or inducing a bluff, enough to give a flush draw, or a hand like 1-pair w/a gutshot a free card?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:36 PM

I guess I've just been getting slowplayed to the river a lot lately. I've been using the turn bet here to get a free showdown. Maybe that's weak/tight poker but, it's been saving me bets when I've been behind and not making a huge difference when I wouldn't have been called anyways.

If I've had any image lately (and if anyone has noticed) it's definitely been borderline maniac. I think this line benefits this style of play because Villians are always expecting you to fire again on the river.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:48 PM

Flair,

The thing here is, a flush draw won't be out there very often and another K is unlikely and QQ has 2 outs. Above and beyond that I'd expect the slightly loose passive opponent to have a weak ace more often than flush draw. And a slowplayed ace or even JJ/TT are all still possibilities for the preflop 3-better. Also, something like QJ only has four outs. So basically, I want to showdown cheaply and no, I'm really not as worried about giving free cards as I normally would be on this board. This one is tricky though. I really wish the OP had stopped the action at some point though or done this as a play-along type hand.

Chief
Old 06-17-2005, 01:55 PM

I guess part of it, is that I am not comitted to showdown. Unless there is something tricky about either of these opponents, I feel pretty protected on the turn after having raised the flop.

If someone checkraises me I am not thinking that I am am getting 12 or 14-1 to call. I am thinking 6 or 7-1 and if that's the case, considering the previous action, I am comfortable with folding to a checkraise.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:28 PM

Looks like u played perfectly. The BB must have you on AJ or has way over played A-rag, since you didn't get capped on the flop. Looks great to me.