Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Tough Canterbury 200+25 AK hand

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't going to answer since everyone before you disagreed with me and I didn't want to look stupid. But yeah, I'd call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take it one step further ... I like a push. You have twice his stack, so make him make the final decision.

Push? Yes, I'm pushing here.

BTW, I think calling is my least favorite of the three options. I guess if you want to play super, super tight, then fold. But I like a push here.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With position, I prefer calling and playing poker after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Folding is a little weak, but not a terrible option. Pushing in my mind is awful. AQ isn't re-raising from the blinds, so the probable range for SB is 99/TT-AA, AK. Usually a flip, never a favourite, possibly dominated.

With position, I'd see a flop and exercise pot control.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:33 PM

the range of hands you just described is precisely why I get away from this hand here. You're only at 41% equity against that range....
Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 PM

This is a tough hand and with the info you have I will lay this hand down based that your out of position, someone has reraised a big stack that you can bust after you raised under the gun. I would probably narrow his range a little further since it looks like he wants a call, pot odds are 2.7 (call 1800 to win 4800). At this point in tourney with this limited info I will throw away the AK.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:30 PM

I push. AK is a hand you want to push rahter than call with and you are kind of pot committed if you call, so I like call the least.

I feel that the fact the raise comes from the blinds is an indication of weakness rather than strength, since there is only one other player to act.

Villain will probably call the push and show a pocket pair or AK, so it is really even. There is some chance you will run into AA or KK and there is some chance villain is making a move, figuring you will have to lay down anything less than AK or QQ, having raised UTG and being reraised.

Obviously a read on the villain would make the decision much easier.

I don't know if pushing is EV+, but I think it is too weak to laydown AK to a reraise. If you need QQ or better to call a reraise, you are encouraging people to take shots at you.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I push. AK is a hand you want to push rahter than call with and you are kind of pot committed if you call, so I like call the least.

I feel that the fact the raise comes from the blinds is an indication of weakness rather than strength, since there is only one other player to act.

Villain will probably call the push and show a pocket pair or AK, so it is really even. There is some chance you will run into AA or KK and there is some chance villain is making a move, figuring you will have to lay down anything less than AK or QQ, having raised UTG and being reraised.

Obviously a read on the villain would make the decision much easier.

I don't know if pushing is EV+, but I think it is too weak to laydown AK to a reraise. If you need QQ or better to call a reraise, you are encouraging people to take shots at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with this analysis. I'm not saying lay down AK anytime to a reraise. I'm saying laydown AK to a reraise from the small blind. What kind of hands do you make an out of position reraise from the small blind against UTG? If the small blind was being weak, he would've just flat called a 3x the big blind bet.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I totally disagree with this analysis. I'm not saying lay down AK anytime to a reraise. I'm saying laydown AK to a reraise from the small blind. What kind of hands do you make an out of position reraise from the small blind against UTG? If the small blind was being weak, he would've just flat called a 3x the big blind bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The money is not deep enough for postflop position to be that important. The SB knows UTG is likely to push or fold. If UTG calls, both players are fairly pot committed, so the rest of the money is probably going in on the flop.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:01 PM

I keep it simple and push. You've got villain covered and I wan't to put villain to a tough decision and if I get called then I want to see all 5 cards. If you just call and there's an ace on the flop you're probably not getting paid off by lesser hands and if you call and there's no ace/king on the flop then you probably have to fold to the continuation bet that's coming.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I keep it simple and push. You've got villain covered and I wan't to put villain to a tough decision and if I get called then I want to see all 5 cards. If you just call and there's an ace on the flop you're probably not getting paid off by lesser hands and if you call and there's no ace/king on the flop then you probably have to fold to the continuation bet that's coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Obviously, there are different ways to play this, but like I said previously, this is the line I like the best - for these very reasons.