Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Splitting up the forum into different levels

I initially suggested splitting the forum into three levels equivalent to the type of play that occurs at each level. The $5-$33,$55-$109, $215 seem to have all their own playing styles.

If splitting the forum into the 3 levels would mean the lower level players missing out on great posts by the veterans, then I would not split the forums.

Just an idea [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) Someone made a post that was from the $215s asking about a certain turn push. This push would be absolutely terrible at the $11s, and personally, I think pretty bad even at the $55s. With posts like these, some posters may get the wrong idea and try FPS at the lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

God forbid that people think about what is written, try to process it, and figure out why it might not apply. If they try stuff that fails horribly and eventually realize why it fails horribly, that's not a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just outlined the biggest advantage to splitting them up.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you just outlined the biggest advantage to splitting them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Are you saying you don't want people to learn? Then what's the point of posting anything but your own hands, ever?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That $215+ would be a real lively forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume this is sarcasm? And if it's not, it should be.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:59 PM

I currently play at the $55s. I would hate to have to move back down to the $33s or $22s. You mean I would also have to move down in my forum? Damn, talk about kicking a guy when he's down.

And when I posted about why I was moving down to the $33s. Which forum would I post that in? The one I was leaving, or the one I was returning to?

Also, when I play at 7 in the morning, I play in the $22s. Should I post those hands in the lower forum, or the middle forum? In other words, do the forums define tournaments (in which case I would post in the lower forum) or do they define people (in which case I would post in the middle forum)
Old 06-16-2005, 02:00 PM

I'd still post in the lower buyins forum.

The thing about low limit SNG's is that trying to apply around half of what I talk about and around 99.9% of what Gigabet talks about just hurts your game a lot. There is no benefit to 'learning' whatsoever when what you take out of it is essentially 'play like a fish'.

edit: I don't think this place needs three forums, but I do think both the SNG and multi forum should be split into two (and FWIW, I'd probably be a low multi poster.)
Old 06-16-2005, 02:02 PM

I have no idea how you arrived at that conclusion. So I'll try to explain myself better.

I said that players at the $11s might get the wrong idea by reading posts about the $215s and applying them wrong.

You said this is good for them, as it allows them to think about the hand, and decide why it would be a bad play for them to use it at their level.

I agree. The thing is, IF the forums were split, the lower limit players would know that they are entering an entire new world, and they could adjust accordingly. I highly doubt they think the same way when they click on a link to a $215 hand that is sandwiched in between "CALL THIS ALLIN AT THE $11s" and "WHAT'S A GOOD ROI FOR THE $33s???"

Again, I'm definitely not sold on splitting them, and probably leaning against it, but it's food for thought.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no benefit to 'learning' whatsoever when what you take out of it is essentially 'play like a fish'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get rid of the scare quotes. This is what I'm saying. Much of that stuff isn't applicable at low buyins, where opponents aren't as readable, aren't going to make big reads or sensible plays based on those reads. But, people who try it and discover that isn't applicable really HAVE learned something.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree. The thing is, IF the forums were split, the lower limit players would know that they are entering an entire new world, and they could adjust accordingly. I highly doubt they think the same way when they click on a link to a $215 hand that is sandwiched in between "CALL THIS ALLIN AT THE $11s" and "WHAT'S A GOOD ROI FOR THE $33s???"

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha. Okay, that's an interesting point.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:09 PM

I think it should be split into these type of groups:

ROI Discussion
Hand Discussion
Other Discussion

Then we could all just skip the ROI posts.