Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Using a timing tell

oops hahaha read that post too fast, didn't really see the flush there...hmm, yea checking seems better then
Old 06-16-2005, 07:40 AM

I don't think that action narrows it enough to make this river bet not dumb.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:24 AM

Well preflop, I think his handrange is AK-AT + KQ (unlikely because most players don't raise it preflop) + QQ-99.

All he does through the whole hand is check call. Perhaps TT or JJ might do this, but I only 3betted. Even a passive player will try to put extra bets in with an overpair postflop.

So basically I think his handrange on the river is AK-AJ probably 80% of the time. Throw in my timing tell and he has that range almost always. A bet is correct for different reasons against all those hands obv.

See my thinking now?

-SmileyEH
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 AM

River bet is to push him off a chop with his AK. Or get an overcall with AQ-AJ. I'm not sure about the timing tell though. It's close.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well preflop, I think his handrange is AK-AT + KQ (unlikely because most players don't raise it preflop) + QQ-99.

[/ QUOTE ]
AA and KK should be in that range as well.

[ QUOTE ]
All he does through the whole hand is check call. Perhaps TT or JJ might do this, but I only 3betted. Even a passive player will try to put extra bets in with an overpair postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Many passive players are content to simply call down with their big pocket pairs. Haven't you ever heard "aces never win" before? One funny thing is that even though they never win - the losers are still calling down with them because "you just never know". Another funny thing is that, against an overly aggressive player like yourself, they're not that far playing good letting you bluff off your money the whole way.

[ QUOTE ]
So basically I think his handrange on the river is AK-AJ probably 80% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a poor assumption. I think his handrange is much wider than 3 hands 80% of the time by the river. Furthermore, in any range, he's probably only calling with hands that you're behind to.

[ QUOTE ]
Throw in my timing tell and he has that range almost always. A bet is correct for different reasons against all those hands obv.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your timing tell sucks! Your timing tell means nothing. How can you say that it's a tell after 12 hands? IMO, you're simply trying to disguise your poor play under the cover of a "timing tell". It's ridiculous. Talking about timing tells sucks in general - suggesting you have one after 12 hands sucks even worse. I'll bump the thread where I went into detail to explain exactly why timing tells suck.

I don't see how you can expect the long-run EV of a bet here to be positive!?!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
River bet is to push him off a chop with his AK. Or get an overcall with AQ-AJ. I'm not sure about the timing tell though. It's close.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not close - it sucks!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:39 AM

Stop flaming the threads I start. I'm not an overly aggressive player either. Also, this timing tell is not player specific.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-16-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop flaming the threads I start. I'm not an overly aggressive player either. Also, this timing tell is not player specific.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop assuming that just because someone disagrees with you it's because they don't like you and are flaming you. Maybe it's because you're wrong. A lot. Also, timing tells suck. There have been several threads about it from some big posters, here in MH and General. Use the search function.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop flaming the threads I start.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not flaming - I'm replying. If you don't want negative criticism of your bad plays then stop posting hands that suck. I don't have anything against you - truely!! But this hand sucks and there are new posters in here that are mistakenly agreeing that your play was good. It's not.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not an overly aggressive player either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could've fooled me by firing the third barrel into a loose/passive player that raised in EP PF and then check/called you down on the flop/turn.

Also - I seem to remember a certain 2+2 table. Now maybe you don't play that way all the time - but, with some of the hands you post and they way I watched you play at that table my read is: LAG [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Also, this timing tell is not player specific.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then it sucks even worse. I'm going to bump that thread now.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop assuming that just because someone disagrees with you it's because they don't like you and are flaming you. Maybe it's because you're wrong. A lot. Also, timing tells suck. There have been several threads about it from some big posters, here in MH and General. Use the search function.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's based on previous threads.

-SmileyEH